Clear all

TR needs sound ... sound system advice

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

OK, so it looks like we are going to take a serious run at putting a gigging band out there. My PA system lost a main component a couple years back when my Peavey power amp tanked (250 watts per side into 4 ohms). I have been using a cheap 125 watt mono power amp for practice. It sounds good in the Man Cave but I'm not sure if it would be gig worthy. Since I have 2 Peavey 15" 8 ohm cabs with horns my old power amp was in effect twice the power of whats in there now. The venues around here will be small and the band will be a very standard 2 guitars, drums, bass and vocals. My system is this right now:

2 Peavey 15" cabs with horns connected to the 125 watt power amp
2 10" Kustom floor monitors with horns connected to a 4 chanel Peavey PA head at 100 watts
12 chanel Mackie mixer
ART multi effects rack unit
Techniques stereo graphic EQ (intended for home stereo use)

Do I upgrade the power amp?
Get a rack mount, intended for PA use, EQ?
or
Buy a $300 to$500 lower end all in one system and just add the Peavey 15's to it for a total of 4 - 15" speakers for FOH (running at 4 ohms per side instead of 8 ) and have a single box with mixer, power amp and EQ? I'd still use the monitor setup I have.

I am in no hurry here cause we certainly have a lot of work ahead of us before we are ready to gig, but was just considering the options.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Just get a bigg-ish amp (say 2x400W @4), and connect the 2 15s to one side and the two monitors to the other side. Buy used. Peavey is a good brand for this. I don't like Yamaha or Crown, but it's not my money or ears.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

The venues around here will be small and the band will be a very standard 2 guitars, drums, bass and vocals. My system is this right now:

2 Peavey 15" cabs with horns connected to the 125 watt power amp
2 10" Kustom floor monitors with horns connected to a 4 chanel Peavey PA head at 100 watts
12 chanel Mackie mixer
ART multi effects rack unit
Techniques stereo graphic EQ (intended for home stereo use)

It depends on what your budget is, as always, but the BEFOREI went out to gig, I'd upgrade the power amp for the Mains, and use the mono 125 watt amp for the monitors, since those 10 inch Kustoms tend to be a bit limited in power handling.

I'd also check the system for noise and signal loss with and without the EQ unit. The line level mismatch might be affecting the signal in unpleasant ways.

How much power? Slightly more than the peak power handling of the speakers. For example, Peavey's "budget" 2-way 15's (PV and PR series) and rated at 400/800 program/peak. For those I'd look for a stereo power amp rated at 1000 to 1250 watts per side at 8 ohms, or as close to that as you can afford.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the good advice guys! Laz, Moonrider is right about those Kustoms otherwise I would be thinking along your lines for the monitors. One less power amp to haul that way. Moonrider, what you describe is what I was doing prior to my Peavey going up on me. I do have the option of seeing if I can get that fixed as well. I was leaning big power amp and when affordable I can get a second set of better speakers and use the left and right on it as Laz suggested for monitors.

Oh, the EQ. Sounds much better with it Moonrider but I think I would look to purchase a budget rack mount made for this purpose as the stereo one fits into my rack via being duct taped piggyback the the Juice Goose rack mount power strip. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Many a gig have been done with a Peavey XR600 and a pair of SP2 speakers. :lol:

I'd go with Laz's recommendation.
If you can find an used Peavey CS400 (or the modern equivalent), that would be a good match for the speakers.
They are fairly bulletproof, and they can double as traction weights for your truck in the winter. :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote