Notifications
Clear all

replacing speakers in an amp

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@swargy)
Topic starter  

I'm trying to find some replacement speakers for my amp since they are all blown but I'm unsure what to even look for since I am unfamiliar with pro-audio speakers.
I have a Fender acoustasonic sfx amp. I need to replace the 8" for sure and possibly the 10" and the horn.
I know that this amp is made for an acoustic guitar but lately I've been running an electric through it along with my Line 6 pod, so my guess is that this has played a role in the blown out speakers.
I also know what in the speaker is blown. I often play the amp pretty loud so it can be heard over the drums, and I put a decent amount of bass in since we recently lost our bass player. From the sound of it sometime during one of our practices the speaker must've been overdriven which caused part of the voice coil to melt and now the voice coil rubs .
So I'm looking for a speaker that is good at dissipating heat and is good at reproducing bass but can still keep the sound quality of the original speaker.

I was thinking I could maybe buy a 10" which can handle the bass and an 8" which will handle the mids and then put crossovers on both speakers. But for me to do this I would need the speakers to be 16ohm since I would most likely run them in parallel .
The way the amp is setup right now, the 10" pretty much doesn't do anything.
So I have some questions with this setup.
1. Would the change in current cause a problem?
2. Are 16 ohm speakers even made
3. Would I be better off wiring in series and getting 4 ohm speakers and lose power?
4. What speakers would you suggest.
5. Anything you want to add? (ex. bad idea, just get a new amp, etc...)

I love this amp but it seems like the volume I'm playing it at and the amount of bass I'm putting through it is causing a problem so I need to do something that will fix it.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yes, 16 ohm speakers are made.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I'm pretty sure those acoustic amps use more of a home stereo speaker than a pro audio speaker. By this I mean they have a rubber surround versus an accordion surround. They are able to produce soft acoustic tones well, but I would bet they just got pulverized by an electric. Unfortunately you were trying to get the amp to do things that it wasn't made to do.
You could get a true electric amp...a nice used solid state one isn't too expensive. However, if you're short on funds, you could try to replace the speakers with something a little more suited to what you're using the amp for. A crossover network sounds like a good idea to me... As it's set up now, is there just one set of wires coming out of the amp, and then that is split between the horn, 8 and 10 speaker in paralell? I'm guessing there's just a capacitor in series with the horn. If that's the case, you might want to just disconnect the horn for now. They are essential for acoustic amplification, but not very useful for electric(there's nothing from an electric up that high in frequency). You should look for a rather heavy 10" speaker. Maybe a used Peavey Scorpion. They're very cheap and pretty common on ebay.
For the 8, just try again to get a good solid guitar speaker. If you get something a little lighter, the amp will probably still sound good for acoustic stuff if you connect the horn back up.
A crossover isn't necessary if you're just going to be suing the amp for electric guitar. However, if you want to keep the versatility of both, it might be an ok idea.
As for impedance, find out what minimum the amp can handle, and then go from there. Don't forget, if you're using a crossover, the impedance of each speaker will be the total load. If you are just connecting them in series or parallel it gets more tricky.

ReplyQuote