Clear all

Should I Buy It?

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@hoop71)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I think I have decided on a Mesa Boogie Dual Rect. but should I get solo or tremoverb? Should I even get it. I love the distortion and I would be getting the head with a 4x12 cab. should i get the suggested Mesa cab or split for something else. I am willing to spend a pretty penny here to get the gear i want. I want something that can turn my effects loop on/off with the pedal so i can come back to clean effects going. any advice would be helpful.

thanks
-Hoop

"my choice is what i choose to do
and if i'm causing no harm
it shouldn't bother you
your choice is who you choose to be
and if your causin' no harm
then you're alright with me"
~Ben Harper

(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

i have a 3 channel dual rectifier and absolutely love it. i don't have much experience with the tremoverb, but i'm pretty sure (almost positive) that it is only a 2 channel. the DR has an assignable/footswitchable effects loop, as well as a footswitchable solo control, and a switch for each channel. the thing absolutely roars. i'm not sure if the tremoverb has a footswitchable effects loop or not, as i don't have any experience with it.

as for the cabinet, definitely go with the mesa. mesa amps are designed to go with mesa cabinets. plus, mesa cabinets just rule all around IMO. the bass response is great and the highs really cut through. as i'm sure you've heard before, the V30's in mesa cabs are one of the best, if not the best, speaker out there. i play through mesa 4x12 standards (oversize) and my sound is just absolutely huge. i played through a crate blue voodoo before i got the mesa cabinets and the crate couldn't even hold a candle to the mesa's.

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@hoop71)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks...you make ir sound even better? what the upkeep costs? tubes? ect??

it shouldn't bother you
~Ben Harper

ReplyQuote
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member

Usually I am a Marshall fan, but the MESA Dual & Triple Rec are the best for bone crushing downtuned metal, the ultimate in sludge sound. The Mesa cabs are amazing but if you want a cab that really shows off the sound check out:

http://www.vadercabinets.com

These things are amazing I have a 4x12 and a 2x12 that I use with my Marshall TSL100 head, The bass response is even creamer then the MESA cabinets and the more you turn up the volume the better it sounds, the break up is stunning and they can take over 400watts. The great thing is they are hand built in the US and they are almost half the price of a MESA cab.

a cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education

ReplyQuote
(@hoop71)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i looked into those cabs seems they are played by mostly metal artists... i play hard rock that boarders on metal but also has jazz, blues, and effects heavy clean tones, how do these project through there?

it shouldn't bother you
~Ben Harper

ReplyQuote
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member

They have been designed with the metal sound in mind but the quality is such that they seem to sound great whatever you push through them. The Eminence Legend speakers installed in these babys have a wonderful silky sound that can be applied to blues, rock and other styles and they can take a serious amount of punishment from the most powerful of amps and sound better the more you push them. So the Dual Rec you are thinking of would be Childs play to the VADER Cabinets.

If you are looking for something to play an array of styles why go for the Mesa Dual Rec? there are other heads out there that are built to the same standard as MESA but would be more suited to your sound. What style do you play the most? And what sort of sound do you like? What sound are you trying to achieve?

ReplyQuote
(@hoop71)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

check out the style... http://www.myspace.com.sidaerial the others in the band play on a DR... im on a POS Marshall mg100hdfx...im open to anything but i want versaility with some nasty overdrive. and quality i dont want to be looking for another amp in 6 months like after i bought my marshall. maybe a different marshall a TSL 100 or something?

thanks

it shouldn't bother you
~Ben Harper

ReplyQuote
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member

I had a listen to the tunes on your myspace profile...pretty cool. A Marshall TSL would be great for the kind of sound you guys are kicking out. If the other guitarist is using a Mesa then having an amp with a different tone (as long as its a good one like the TSL) will compliment the sound. If you buy a TSL you won't be disappointed, I have owned many Marshall amps, AVT's, MG's all in various combos and heads but the TSL is by far the most powerful sounding amp with a wonderful tone even the clean tone sounds stunning, and listening to your music I can see that you guys jump between clean and overdriven sounds quite a lot. The best thing to do is get down to the closest music store and pick out a few amps that you think would be suitable then try them out one at a time see which one sounds the best to YOUR ear. Usually the cab that comes with each head will be voiced perfectly for the amp.

Oh yeah and I added my band to your friends on myspace so you'll find a new friend request :)

ReplyQuote
(@hoop71)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all the help... i guess thats what i need to do... thanks for the add too.

peace
-hoop

it shouldn't bother you
~Ben Harper

ReplyQuote