Clear all

Slave amp: NEED HELP

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I thought I found the answer to this but it seems I was wrong!

I have 2 amps that I would like to use together. 1 Kustom Quad 100 Head and a Marshall avt100 amp that has been taken out of the combo it came attached to.

Now! I would like to use the Marshall as a slave to the Kustom, but am unsure of how to connect them. I know that the Marshall has to be placed after the pre-amp and before the power amp. The Kustom head has a number of inputs/outputs they are named as follows:

Speaker out x 2, Line Output, Insert in/out (single plug not two seperate ones), Footswitch

The Marshall has:

Loudspeaker out, Headphones, Emulated line out, Fx Return, Fx Send.

What jacks do I plug in to and out of? Do I need a Y cable? Can I even make this work?
Anyone who can help please explain what I need to do. Its driving me insane.
Thanks

a cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but the correct output on both amps is the "Line Out" (Line Output on the Kustom, emulated Line Out on the Marshall) . You could go out from this on either amp into the instrument jack on the other amp. This will send the preamp signal from amp #1 into amp #2.

You could also go into amp #2 by going into Insert In on the Kustom, or FX Return on the Marshall. Not sure if there is any advantage to this. You may find that this bypasses the preamp stage on amp #2. That is how it works on my Fender amp, but I cannot say for certain that is how it will work on your amps.

One thing for sure though, DO NOT go from the Speaker Out into the other amp. The Speaker Out is a high powered signal intended to drive speakers ONLY. If you go out from this into the other amp it will damage it quickly. So don't do that.

The Line Out is a low powered signal. It will not drive a speaker. It is intended to go into another amp or directly into your PA. So the Line Out is the proper connection to use.

Hope that helped.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote