Skip to content
So I want to buy a ...

Notifications
Clear all

So I want to buy a head, but am unsure of everything.

27 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hmmmmmm, man, so many options.

So, Racetruck, I'm kind of confused with what you said. You have a Traynor head, below the cab? But then you have another combo on top of the cab?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I have a Traynor combo, on top of the combo I have an empty Fender Pro Reverb combo. All that's in the Fender is the speakers. These are jacked into the extension speaker jack in the back of the Traynor.

The Fender is just acting like a speaker cab, no amp is in it. I removed the amp to rebuild it and just couldn't see the speakers just sitting there.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

That's awesome. So.... technically I could use a combo amp to power a cab? That might be the way to go for me.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A combo is basically a head and a cab in one box. You can always disconnect the speakers and hook the internal 'head' to another cab, or cabs.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

You can always disconnect the speakers and hook the internal 'head' to another cab, or cabs.

Depending on the combo, you could even do it without disconnecting the internal speaker. Some combos already have a provision for that; and others, depending on the output transformer, can be modified to do so.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member

One example of a combo & cab setup is the Marshall AVT275 I bought a while back. It has one output for the built in speakers and a second for an extension cabinet that I hook up to a 2x12. The combo is pretty darn loud being a 150w and the extra cab gives a wider sound and more of a punch to the bottom end, you can sit the combo quite nicely on top of the cab to give a sort of half stack look and you get 4 12' speakers to blast through.

Also when you are playing smaller venues or playing at home you can use just the combo. It has an effects loop and other gubbins at the back to play with and doesn't cost the earth. Also has built in effects and 3 foot switch able channels. Maybe something like that would be suitable.

a cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

My Traynor has an extension speaker jack in the back and the additional cab does add more range and response.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe has an internal 12" speaker that operates at 8 ohms. It is blazing loud, it will play almost anywhere except a stadium. And I'm talking completely unmic'd. It has two "speaker outs" under the head. The internal speaker runs into the 1st output. The 2nd output is also 8 ohms. I run from this into a Avatar 2 X 12 cab with Vintage 30's. Sounds great. I place my HRD combo amp on top of the speaker cab. The Avatar is 8 ohms too, so my amp will operate safely down to 4 ohms.

Here is a pic of my HRD on top of the 2 X 12 extension cab. My little "stack".

This is all I need to play the largest clubs. I rarely even use the cab, my HRD 1 X 12 combo is plenty powerful. The cab does add some fullness to the tone. A wall of sound.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Here is a pic of my HRD on top of the 2 X 12 extension cab. My little "stack".
A wall of sound.

Had to look for a while to find your stuff next to the two stacked 4x10 cabinets .. must be the bass player. But anyway, one look at the setup next to you is enough to convince me that a 2x12 + something is far easier than a half stack :-)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Had to look for a while to find your stuff next to the two stacked 4x10 cabinets .. must be the bass player. But anyway, one look at the setup next to you is enough to convince me that a 2x12 + something is far easier than a half stack

Yes, that is Dom's bass stack. Those are two Hartke 4 X 10 cabs driven by a Peavey 700 watt head. His stack is taller than me. :shock: Dom gets an amazing tone from it and he can blow the rest of us away with volume too. Those cabs are about 75 lbs. each and the head weighs over 50 lbs.. It is a lot of work hauling his gear, we usually help him out.

My half stack only looks small compared to Dom's rig. It is a about 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall. The HRD weighs about 50 lbs., the cab is pretty light, maybe 40 lbs., so not too bad.

Here is another pic from our last gig. I did not use the cab and my combo was plenty. It's there on the floor behind Dom. This club holds maybe 300 people. You can see Dom's full rig behind him.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats a lame guitar Wes ..... :lol: I love mine! It happens to be black too. You look like your having a ball in that pic. Yeah, I've played through a Hot Rod Deluxe. They crank.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

TRGuitar

Well, I can't afford a Goldtop like yours. I am kinda glad I only have a Studio. It sounds as good as the higher priced LPs, but I don't worry about scratching it. I would be afraid to play the higher end LPs.

Yeah the HRD is a great gig amp, lots of power and a great clean channel. Pedals sound great through it, so you can get just about any tone. It has a very full and warm tone, really carries in a room. Good amp.

Lately I have been playing my Marshall DSL401 a lot. It is also 1 X 12 and 40 watts. I think I will use it for a few gigs. It has a great tone, but is not as dependable as my Fender. I can think of at least 3 instances where I have seen an amp quit on a guitarist at a gig, and everyone was a Marshall. :shock:

But I tell ya, I still love Marshall tone. :twisted:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2