Notifications
Clear all

Speaker Cab Question

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@punkin)
Topic starter  

Hello all, I'm new here and wasn't sure if I should post this question in this section or not so please be gentle :lol:

I've got a few too many speakers and too many cabinets for my smallish studio. I don't gig outside anymore and I'm looking to down size or compact my collection a bit. I have two each 2x12 speaker cabs. One has G12H30's and the other Hellatone 60's. These cabs sound very different from each other and I really like them. I also have a 4x12 with some G12T-75's which I really don't care for. I was thinking of putting the favored speakers into the 4x12, putting the G12T-75's into the 2x12 boxes and selling them.

So here's my question. I do a fair amount recording and would like to keep the flexibility of having the two sets of speakers. If I were to put two jacks on the 4x12 cabinet. One going to the Hellatones and the other going to the G12H30's would this cause any problems. I never plan to use all 4 speakers at the same time. I'm concerned that two active speakers moving air in the box with 2 dead/floating speakers might cause issues with sound. To do this, would I have to put a baffle between the speaker pairs or am I worried about nothing?

I know of stereo cabinets and that most people use all 4 speakers simultaneously but the sound is usually split/processed differently before they reach the speakers. I'm proposing 2 cabs in one to be used separately. Sorry for the ramble...you'd be suprised at how many places I've posted this question and wasn't able to get a response.

Thanks,...any comments would be greatly appreciated.

punkin

xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Well if you're worried about the 2 dead speakers affecting the 2 live speakers, then why not just put a baffle in. If it's a sealed cabinet(which most 4x12's are), then there could be considerable pressure inside the cab. Therefore I think some way of separating the 2 sets of speakers would be a good idea.

ReplyQuote
(@punkin)
Topic starter  

Thanks xg58 for the quick respone!...the cab is a closed back design. Infact, I've got the back off right now and I was looking at how to best apply that idea. Getting a nice tight seal might be a bit tricky but again, I was just wondering if anyone has done this and perhaps I'm making a fuss 'bout nothing. It sure makes sense to separate.

I appreciate you taking the time.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Alternately, you can arrange to short out the unused speakers. That will keep them from flopping about - you are correct to worry about that.

Personally, I'd get rid of the 4x12 and keep the other two cabs. Part of the reason that the 2x12s sound good is how the drivers match the cabinet. Putting the 60s in the 4x12 won't sound the same, even with a divider or whatever.

ReplyQuote
(@punkin)
Topic starter  

Thanks Laz. That sounds like good advice. After a long hard look at the 4x12 and the mods I'd have to make to it and all. That's the way I'm going to go. Good bye 4x12.

Much appreciated.

ReplyQuote