Clear all

Static somehow periodically going into amp from me

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've come across an annoying problem lately.  About three weeks ago I bought an AKG Guitar Bug wireless guitar system.  It's really cool but it does not come without hiss.  So I was trying it out and I could here the hiss from compression (presumably from turning my guitar signal into a television frequency in the 730 hz range I think).  But I noticed every once in awhile I'd hear a static-y sound fly out of my speaker.  I mean, when you are playing a tune well and you hear a “SDKFDKFSL” come out of the speaker for a ½ second, you tend to get annoyed.

So I used that bug for about an hour and have not used it since.  Still, even with my regular guitar cables I've heard that static sound every once in awhile.  It happened quite a few times Saturday night when I was jammin' with a buddy.

Last night I was at practice and we play at pretty high volume.  I heard the static-y sound again a couple of times and I think I've figured out it's literally static building up on me and the guitar.  I notice if I'd rub the back of my SG across my stomach it would cause static eventually.

I find it odd that I never had that experience before in the 3 places I play.  I don't wear shoes when playing just socks on carpet in 3 different homes.  I wear a t-shirt and shorts.  So, the bottom line is I want to get rid of that sound that pops in there every once in awhile.  Maybe I'll have to put Bounce static sheets in my shorts pockets when I play.

Have any of you ever experienced this?

What have you done to correct it?

I don't know it this is necessary, but here is the chain from me to the amp:

I'm playing my SG through a 10' good Spectraflex cable to the Roland VG-88 multieffects through another Spectraflex cable into my Roland KC-100 keyboard amp.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

Got to admit this gave me a chuckle. Socks, shorts, and tee-shirt. Man it's too cold for that where I live!

My knowledge of electronics is very basic. If this sound is truly due to static, I would take the socks off.

Now, I'm chuckling again. I hope we can have a sense of humor on here.

But seriously folks, socks on carpet creates static.

DO NOT take off the shorts and tee-shirt.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Static used to be a problem in the IT industry before ICs came along. It#s a bit scary telling 20 (female) operators what underwear is and isn't OK - they tend to think you're a pervert.

HOwver, that may be one cause of your static problem - don't wear synthetic underwear, it creates static charges that you can't believe.

What I don't understand, is why, if your guitar is properly earthed, you are not discharging the static into the bridge whenever you touch the strings or the bridge.

It's also possible that some of the other noises are being created by poor earthing.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote