6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 NRGD
(@nrgd)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, this is my first post to this forum. Let me begin by saying:
HELP!!!
I've been trying to replicate Marc Bolan's clean fuzz sound. I've learned to play mainly on an acoustic and I've just started using effects on my electric and everything I've tried is too distorted. Anyone have any idea what Marc used on for example "Electric Warrior" or "The Slider" I know he was playing a Les Paul but that's about all I can find.
Thanks,
Gary Davis

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow NRGD!

T-Rex was my favorite group when I was young. Marc Bolan was a great guitarist who was highly underrated.

Marc usually played that red Les Paul, although I've seen pictures of him playing a Strat and a Flying V.

As far as I know, he used Marshall amps. On the black cover of the Electric Warrior album it shows him playing his Les Paul through a Marshall head with 2 4X12 cabinets.

The modern distortion pedals are too much. What you are hearing is Tube Amp distortion.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Mark Field AKA Marc Bolan

Here's some of the Equipmet they used. I couldn't find the model of the amps.

Equipment: 3 Vampower 100 watt imp, 3 Vamp cabinets, 2 Vox Supreme amps, 1 Vox Supreme cabinet, 1 Vox AC30 amp, 1 WEM echo unit, 1 fuzz box, 1 treble booster, 1 wah-wah pedal, 8 100 watt stereo quad amps, 5 RCA cabinets Ñ custom-built by Kelsey and Morris, 5 monitor speakersÑ custom-built by Kelsey and Morris, 1 studio mixer deckÑ custom-built by Kelsey and Morris, 5 hornsÑcustom-built by Kelsey and Morris, 1 trans-former Ñ custom-built by Kelsey and Morris. MICROPHONES: 9 Shure microphones.

MARC BOLAN: 1 Fender Telecaster guitar, 2 Fender Stratocaster guitars, 1 1947 Les Paul guitar, 1 Custom Les Paul guitar, 1 Epiphone acoustic guitar 1 Woolworths organ, Picato stings, marshall amps.

MICKIE FINN: 1 Mexican conga, 4 African talking drums, 2 sets bongos, 1 Chinese gong, set of Mexican claves, various marraccas, various tambourines.

STEVE CURRIE: 1 Fender Precision bass guitar, 1 Fender six-string guitar, Rotosound strings. BILL LEGEND: 1 Hayman Professional drum kit, Zyn cymbals, 1 ride crash Hi-Hat, Ringo Starr drum sticks.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member

Thats a fairly comprehensive list there forrok.

In case your a bit confused by that list, try to find a Fuzz pedal, I think that will give you the basics of the sound.
Coloursound make a good Fuzz, as do Zvex and Jim Dunlop (the legendary Fuzz Face!). That shouldn't be too expensive, about £70, or about $70 US

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Marc Bolan also played a Burns Flyte.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 NRGD
(@nrgd)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies! forrok were you there !?! Great description of gear.
I tried a DOD Flashback Fuzz and the cleanest sound I can get is still a bit too distorted. Marc's sound on TRex stuff was so unique.
I will just keep experimenting, a friend has the top of the line Fender Cyber so I'll try it with some pedals and see what I can come up with.
Thanks,
G

ReplyQuote