Clear all

Tascam PocketStudio 5 - disaster

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

While on a trip to New York (I live in the Philippines) I bought a Tascam PocketStudio 5 for recording, backing and effects. I used it in the hotel (I also bought a Epiphone Dot - not a disaster, I love it) and enjoyed the Tascam though I found it complex to understand; how to do the simple things - like just creating a drum backing.

So I am not sure I can recommend it, I think the manual and the menus leave a lot to be desired. But it sounded good, though I am not an expert on these devices.

However, not as big a disaster as the owner!! When I got home I plugged it into the electricity supply which is 220 volts and bang!! The adapter only works at 110V!! In addition to ruining the adaptor it also blew my Tasacm - doesn't even work on batteries.

I am rather disappointed that an adaptor should be designed only for 110v (most handle 110-24), more disappointed that it blew the Tascam and even more disappointed with the service.

I faxed Tokyo and Hong Kong service centers as they were the nearest to Manila. No response. Then emailed Tascam in the USA and they replied that it wasn't under warranty for what I did and it might cost more than the original cost to ship it to the states and get it repaired...

I know I am an idiot for not checking the adaptor.

Would still like to get something to use for recording and effects etc. but not another Tascam.

Just my tale of woe (but am still in love with the Epiphone - from the moment I picked it up. Followed the advice on this forum, if it feels good - get it, best $450 I ever spent.) :) Bought it from Rudys.

(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I feel bad for you mate.  What part blew?

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks - I don't really know. When it worked the LCD lit up with the words Welcome to Tascam or something similar. Now the LCD lights up then goes blank. The menu buttons do nothing though some buttons start leds flashing - it seems without reason. But effectively nothing works.

I had the computer engineers take the cover off, but I think they just looked to see if a fuse had blown (if that had been the problem there wouldn't have been any kind of response I guess).

$300 down the tubes :(

ReplyQuote