Clear all

Toneport problems! HELP

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

If anyone out there has any experience with these units, please help.

I thought that the sound would automatically play on your PC, while you played. Apparently not. The support screens on the Line 6 site tell me that I need to either listen through headphones, or I can connect the headphone output from the Toneport to the mic in on my PC. I tried the second method, but still no sound out of my PC! Yes, all of the volume knobs are up - the Gearbox meters show a signal coming in from the guitar - just no sound! HELP

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Check your Master Windows Sound settings... not the Driver settings part. your Volume Control. Depending if you use the standard windows control or perhaps one from your motherboard.. like I have NVidia Mixer. Look for this in your control Panel.

Double click it. then on the first tab...VOLUME you should see a check box "Place volume icon on task bar" Check it if not already, then click OK.

Now down in your taskbar....next to your clock on the right...look for a yellow speaker...double click to bring up compenent volume control.

If Win default.. you can do View advanced... look for an area where you have sliders for Wave/Line/Mic/Aux/CD/Synth....etc. at the bottom of each slider for each component is usually a MUTE checkbox. Make sure that's not checked then slide up and down the MIC/Line sliders to see if you get results.

Hope that helps... its not very clear, but its 12:30pm and I'm a wee-bit hazy at the moment. :) :oops: :oops:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

When you use the toneport, the output from the toneport does not come back to windows. You have two or three options:

1. Make it your default windows device, and connect your PC speakers to it.
2. Listen through the headphones
3. Try to route the line out from the back into the line-in on your PC.

I use method 1; I have an old stereo receiver I am using. I have one set of inputs connected to the "monitor out" from the toneport, and another to the lineout from the PC sound card. When I connect the toneport, I make it the default windows device as well, and I switch the reciever to that. When I disconnect the toneport, I switch to the other input. So, I have audio output at all times..

Hope this helps...but if you want fas monitoring, you don't want to route back through to the PC, because that will add some delay (latency) to the sound you are hearing. You want to hear direct from the toneport.

(shameless plug: I just posted this in the Hear Here forum, all made with the toneport and Ableton Live Lite.)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the information, guys! It works!

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Roger that Vink.

But if your trying to get output from your PC speakers and you plug into LINE IN or MIC with any device. Windows usually had those channels Muted.

When I started recording my stuff in the PC, both with my MIC and straight via LINE IN (via GT-8), I had to UN-MUTE those two channels in my Audio/Volume control in Windows before I could use my PC Speakers as Monitors.

As far as Latency I don't have any of those issues as far as I can tell. <shrug>

Glad to hear you got it working CFB :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote