Tube Problem?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have a problem with a strange harmonic coming through the amp while playing. New US strat w/Kustom 36 watt tube amp. The harmonic has a ringing sound and is not unlike plucking a harmonic at different positions on the fretboard but it sounds the same where ever I slightly mute the strings and come off fast. It only sounds when I come off the strings. I can only replicate it in this manner. It is annoying the heck out of me and sounds terrible. I recently replaced my tubes and it only seems to happen with this guitar. I have a lonestar strat w/texas specials that are less bright than the US standard and it does not seem to occur as bad and is almost not discernable.

I am not getting any uncontrolled feedback at high gain just the strange ring when I mute the strings and pull off. I get the undesireable ring at any volume and even with no gain.

I have switched the two preamp tubes around and still the same problem on both channels (the amp uses one ax7 for the clean and then through the additional ax7 for the lead channel).

I am not sure what to do here.

ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Goofy me - the noise is coming from the guitar, unplugged at that! It is definetly resonating in the strings (follows the trem) and is really prominant when the strings are muted between the first and second frets and between the seventh and eighth. The strings are still good but I'll change them anyway (D'Addario 10s - have used the brand and size the past 15 years) I guess the post should be moved.

Funny thing is that my other guitars do not do this.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I read somewhere that the tremolo springs could resonate and cause ringing sounds.
It is possible to fill the tremolo spring cavity with a peace of rubber foam to damp spring resonance.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'll shove some foam in there and test it. But I'm beginning to think that I have a bad apple because the resonance frequency sets up in the strings which just seems odd being such a high frequency (I cannot get a natural harmonic that high) and will occur at relatively low volume. I know that playing technique can sometimes give something undesireable the sound of which can be further accentuated by a tube amp. I cannot replicate this in my other strat with trem or my US Master Works w/no trem.

It is really noticeable when playing in varying keys up toward the headstock and the ringing will really set in to an almost constant when I am tearing it up. This has me really confounded.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Does it happen with a specific pickup? Might be a pickup going microphonic, a loosely wound pickup can make some strange sounds, that's why people dip them in wax, it's called "potting". Hope this helps.

Same thing happens with tubes, I've had microphonic power tubes but it probabily happens with other guitars too.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Any tube can become microphonic if the supports for internal parts get loose. If it happens in a "preamp" tube, the microphonic sound will get amplified more than if it's in a later stage of the amp like a power tube. Gently tapping on the tubes with something like a plastic pen or wooden stick can find the culprit if it's a tube. SOME noise when tapping on a tube may be OK as no tube's completely free of internal movement and resonances, but if it really rings when one's tapped, that tube likely needs replacing.

Be careful handling tube amps, as they don't have to be dropped or bumped all that hard to loosen up tube parts.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote