Skip to content
What type of amp sy...

Notifications
Clear all

What type of amp system behind a V-AMP ?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

What type of amp system should be used in combination with a V-AMP unit ?
Connecting it directly to a stereo channel in PA system is an idea I have.
You would then be able to use the stereo effects in the V-Amps FX part and the AMP/Speaker simulation sound would go unchanged out in the "clean" channels of the PA system.
This is maybe heresy for a guitar purist, but if you like the monitor/headphone sound from a V-Amp and want to get it out from the stage, is this a possibility ?

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The result, heard through an amp, is different to what you hear in headphones - the preset effects come across as overpowering, through an amp.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Is it the stereo effects that will be overpowering and not work work in a stage situation?
Or is it the Amp/speaker simulation sound or the other effects ?

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

They seem to set the level of effect far too high. Very often subtle effects work better than "in-your-face" effects. Headphones (i.e. PC cheapies) tend to lose the quality of reproduction of even relatively primitive speakers.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I thought of using a POD through a PA system, and I think the V-Amp is very similar. My main concern would be having a good stage volume behind me - a monitor of some sort. I played a gig on bass earlier this year and finally got to use a SansAmp that the sound company provided; the only problem was I could only hear the bass a tiny bit through the mains. It was like playing with my ears plugged.

In an ideal situation with a POD or V-amp, I'd probably go with a small 4-channel powered mixer and a 12" slant monitor (or a regular mixer and a powered monitor) for my own personal sound, and then run a line-out (or two maybe, for stereo) to the PA. That way I'd have control over my own level (for feedback and just having a speaker near me), and the PA guys would have their own feed to fool around with.

ReplyQuote