Wah Wah

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey all, whats your favorite Wah pedal? Anyone know if Vox is any good? Thanks for opinions.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

Well when I was first looking for a wah pedal I tested all the models and liked the Crybaby the best. However, now that I look back, I wish I had went with a passive wah like the Mark Tremonti model.

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

New to me -- what's a passive wah-wah? Electronically, that is.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I wonder what as well. I dont know much about wahs.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I own a Vox V847. In my opinion it sounds WAY better than a Dunlop Crybaby which I also own. All I can say is that it sounds the way a wah should. It's the one Hendrix, Page, and Clapton used.

There is one downside. It operates on batteries only. But the battery I have in there now has lasted for several months. You just have to make sure you pull your guitar cord out of the input when you are not using it. Otherwise the battery runs.

Vox V847

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

yeah, i think Vox's are undoubtedly more "classic wah" sounding than the Crybaby, but I prefer my Crybaby, I use it through lots of different effects, and I think it works better fo that

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Eyyyy, there ya go Wes. Perfect, that was exactly the model i was trying to ask about. Friend of mine is selling it to me for 50 bucks, wanted to get an opinion first.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

50 for a V847 is dirt cheap. I use a George Dennis (small European brand) wah/volume pedal, which to me is about as good as a standard Crybaby, but not as good as the Vox.

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

-Greg

Well a passive wah is a wah that shuts off when not it use.

For example: a Crybaby wah is always on and always boosting certain frequencies whether you have it heel down or toe down. Passive wahs will shut off and not boost any frequencies when not in use.

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Taso

Get it.

Another thing I like about the Vox over Dunlop (but the Dunlop is very good) is that it was too easy to trip the switch on the Dunlop. Now that could be just my pedal, but I found this to be true from day one. With the Dunlop I had to be careful not to depress the pedal too far or I would turn it off. With the Vox you actually have to make a little effort to turn it on or off. I prefer this. I never accidentally turn it off when using the wah.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Well a passive wah is a wah that shuts off when not it use.

For example: a Crybaby wah is always on and always boosting certain frequencies whether you have it heel down or toe down. Passive wahs will shut off and not boost any frequencies when not in use.

Hmm -- still confused, here. My Crybaby has a toe-tap (or maybe better: toe-stomp) On-Off switch to remove the wah circuit. In original form, this still leaves in line a buffer amp that is somewhat imperfect, but the wah is disabled. Do you possibly mean true-bypass. That is a switch mode that does a hard and complete switch-out of all wah circuitry?

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Arjen and Wes say Yes, taso says Yes as well!

Haha, Just gotta get up another 20 bucks. (After i bought my guitar and amp, I decided to never save money again....and spent anything i had whenver i got it..haha)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

-Greg

Hmmm, I always thought all wah-wahs were passive, just an LC parallel tank with the inductor changing via the pedal. But I never thought about whether you could get the range or the proper bandwidth without an active pre-amp.

Which is the one with the hang-ten foot-shaped pedal? I knew someone who had a lot of fun with that...

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

A passive Wah is one that automatically switches off after you quit moving the foot pedal. It also kicks on automatically as soon as you move the foot pedal. So you don't have to worry about that "stomp" on and off.

I have read articles where people complain that a Wah affects their tone even when off. I can not tell much difference. Some people are fanatical
about tone. All I would tell a person like that is to simply adjust their amp with the Wah off to get the tone they want. Of course when you kick the Wah in it's going to affect the tone. That's what it's supposed to do. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Thanks, Wes. I'm guessing Morley makes these.

Dan -- Most wah's use a variable gain feedback stage to create a Miller effect multiplication of a loading capacitance. Varying the amount of feedback changes the Miller effect capacitance across a resonant parallel tank or over coupled LPF (big ripple). State variable filter versions and twin-T topologies exist, but are "less popular."

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2