Clear all

What watts what?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am about to invest in a larger pa system for our band.  However, I am pretty new to this and I don't really know what to get.  I have been looking at Carvin packages and I really like the one with a 1500watt power amp and speakers with two 15 inchers.  However, there are also bi-amped, tri-amped, and systems with powered speakers.  Plus the power amps say they put out x watts at x ohms, and this changes based on the settings.  And the speakers say they are 600 watts or so.  So how do you match speakers to a power amp?  I don't want to buy too much power for the speakers, but I don't want to be underpowered either.  Our 1000watt amp is not enough for where we play.

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

1000 watts will usually fill anything up to a good size bar.  Above that and you need a real professional rig with multiple speakers, subwoofers, etc.

In general, speakers can be connected to amps that are as much as twice as big: 500W speakers to 1000W amps.  It's clipping that kills speakers, not raw power.

Can you describe your current system in more detail?

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Think of Ohms like the engine of your car. The wider you open the throttle the more power the engine puts out - look at the spec and you will see something like "250Bhp @ 3500 Revs", that means max power is at 3500 revs. Both higher and lower revs produce increasingly less power. Ohms works in a similar fashion - the less Ohms you have, the less resistance you have (like opening the throttle lets more air through) and the more power comes from the amp.
A 1500W power amp will be marginally louder than a 1MW amp - to double the volume on your 1MW gear you would need to uprate it to 10MW (10,000W).
I think I'd be looking at the speaker arrangement and whether adding more speakers wouldn't give more output. than a new power amp.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Currently we have two 15" main speakers.  We have 4 monitors.  We have one Carvin 950watt power amp and a 16 channel mixer.  We have a subwoofer but we don't use it.

We could get another sub and two more power amps.  But I think I'd like to get two new main speakers with dual 15s in them and a new huge power amp.  Then we could use the old amp for the monitors.

I want to get two of the big ones, what do you think about this series?

http://www.jblpro.com/soundfactor/sf_home.html

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Since my last post I got a Carvin DCM 1500 watt power amp and the JBL dual 15" towers.  They truly pump the sound.  There is no need for subs.  Our system rocks!  I highly recommend them.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Nice PA.

I looked up some specs. That Carvin DCM amp puts out 2 X 300W @ 8 Ohms, 2 X 500W @ 4 Ohms, and 2 X 750W @ 2 Ohms.

Those JBL's you showed are the SF25's. They are 4 Ohms. Rated 500W continuous, 2000W peak.

So if you run one SF25 off of each side of your amp they will get 500 Watts each. You could use your 950W amp to power your 4 monitors.

That's a nice setup.

Invest in a dual 31-band EQ. One for your mains, and one for your monitors.

An EQ is primarily used to control feedback and to adapt your sound to different venues.

What are you going to be running through your PA?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

We usually run two vocal mics.  The drummer likes to mic his bass drum.  The guitar players use a Marshall Mode 4 and a Peavey 5150 half stacks which have line outs.  I believe we will run the stacks into the mix as well.  

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Guitar speakers are designed for distortion, PA speakers are designed to give the cleanest reproduction of sound (the human voice). The "experts" will usually recommend you mic your guitar amps. Shure SM57's are a popular instrument mic. This way the PA will reproduce the distortion of your guitar speakers.

Bass is usually played very clean, so it usually sounds great straight into the board.

If you are new to PA's try this site.

http://members.cox.net/pasystem1/

I have been going on there a few years. Real nice people who know sound. Read the tutorial, that will tell you a lot about proper setup and operation of a PA.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote