Notifications
Clear all

getting mic sound louder

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@miller_jam)
Topic starter  

i know youve probably heard this problem a million times but i am puttin my mic into the P.A which is not a great mic with a 1/4 lead and cannot really hear it over the guitar. Will gettin a 3 pinXLR mic make the vocals louder or will a preamp be worth getting.?

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

My first guess is that you're plugging the mic into the wrong input.  You want the Hi-Z or guitar input, not the Line input.

If you think you have to get a pre-amp, consider getting a new mic.  You can get a road-worthy mic for $50.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

As already suggested are you plugged into the right input. It may also be the Mic your using. the frequency range or a bad wire inside can effect it. Or just a bad mic.

I would recommend a mic preamp and a decent low impedance mic.

Just a thought...joe

ReplyQuote
(@miller_jam)
Topic starter  

yeh im using the right input the HI-Z input but my mic is pretty crappy. Will look for a new one. How much would the average mic amp cost?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If your mixer has XLR inputs, then I would consider getting a low-impedance microphone and cable. Here's a couple links to read about the basics of Mike's.

shure.com

audiotechnica.com

A good mike and cable will run just under $100.00. You can pick mikes up for cheaper, but getting a good quality mike can mean the difference between night and day.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

I bought a $19.99 brand new mic off of ebay that came with a cord, a sticker, and a T-shirt.  It sounded ok, but let me tell you, after I bought a Shure SM-58 and a XLR cord; all the difference in the world my friend.

ReplyQuote