Notifications
Clear all

Which pup for my D-41?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ruralgurl)
Topic starter  

Recently adopted a great Martin D-41. I'm a huge fan of the big bottom and clear tenors that the 40 series is known for and this baby exemplifies the species. My quandary is this: What pickup? I've got a Sigma Anniversary (think D-18) with one of the new Fishman Matrix Infinity's in it that I've been happy with, but I'm just don't know if it's what would be best for the D-41. Other chats I've had recently ended with folks steering me toward the K & K Pure Westerns, but others say they have a tendency to feed back when you get loud, and I do get loud. I have a friend with a Sunrise in a D-45, but he plays mostly with a full band and runs everything through their board, so it gets tweeked just right. I'm usually straight to amp / to PA. I do a lot of singer-songwritery fingerpicking, and almost as much "acoustic rock", usually solo, sometimes with a three or four piece. Thought maybe someone on the boards here would have a suggestion or two that I could mull over? Thanks!

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hey. just a thought. you could DI into the PA. then you could mix your output level and tones without feedback.
I have been amping my Martin GTE 16 for years. never cared for the extra boomy sounds. it is all I have, I can get loud w/o feedback.
then at a gig someone plugged me into a DI box and ran through the PA. my guitar sounded the best ever. I could still use my on board Fishman controls.

those Kand K Westerns have great constant raves. never had the pleasure.

does your Martin D41 have a pickup now?

welcome to the forum, BTW.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ruralgurl)
Topic starter  

No pick up in it now, not even a tenor side strap button on the heel. Bought it from a purist, who took excellent care.

I've run DI to PA on occasion with my Sigma and Ovation, results were fine with both under-saddle pups. I was just about sold on the K & K pure Western, but then started reading folks who sited attack delay and feedback when playing "loud". Okay, loud is kinda relative... Define loud, ya know?

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Get a Sunrise.......no question.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

How 'bout PUTW

ReplyQuote