Skip to content
Whip out my small 8...

Notifications
Clear all

Whip out my small 8" and replace it with...

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I have some sort of cheap acoustic amp with two 8 ohm 30 watt 8" speakers and I am thinking of replacing them with other 8" speakers. Power rating for the amp is supposed to be 90 watts and the speakers 40 watts (per what is written on the back of the amp). I just want to see what this amp could sound like with better speakers. Any suggestions? I thought of maybe two Celestion Super 8's. They are only 15 watts, but 8" and 8 ohm. so the size and ohms would fit, and don't think the wattage would be that big of a deal. Let me know folks, spread the knowledge my way.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The wattage is a big deal. You'll fry underrated speakers quickly. I like to use speakers rated for twice the amp's rated power, as tube amps typically are rated at a lot less power than they really put out cranked wide open.

Forget that in this case. I forgot the "acoustic amp" part; we're not talking about a tube amp that gets pushed into output stage distortion. Still, I'd get speakers rated for the full power of the amp. On an acoustic amp, you generally want clean, hi-fi speakers.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote