Skip to content
Can someone go into...

Notifications
Clear all

Can someone go into some depth about attenuators...

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sito71)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Traynor YCV 80Q and a boss mega dist....i am wondering about my muddy distortion when cranking up the volume...(i play the box thru the clean channel b.t.w.)...attenuators have been mentioned to me alot...but i don't know anything about them...what do they do?...are they a handy pedal for a distortion orientated tube amp player?...thanks for any info - Sito

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Your amp starts to "break up" get to it's "saturation" point at louder volumes. An attenuator will allow you to get that "saturation" at lower volumes.

As far as the muddyness, I would think your pedal is the cause of that.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Tube amps need a high volume to get it to really "sing", which is not always neighbour-friendly. To get volume, your amp puts power out, to the speaker - the more power is output, the louder the volume. An attenuator is connected in between amp and speaker and "shares" the power, coming from the amp, with the speaker. The more the attenuator takes for itself, the less is left for the speaker, so the quieter it becomes. The amp can be blasting, full-bore, but the speaker is giving you comfortable living-room volumes.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote