Who has a really LOW wattage tube amp?

33 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
15.8 K Views
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Anyone out there using a 1/2-watt, 1-watt or 2-watt tube amp? Just wondering what are some good ones to look at, even DIY kits.

Also, I've read about people hooking these up to anything from 1x8" to 4x12" cabs. :shock: How realistic is the latter, in terms of putting out enough power to drive the speakers? How loud would a 2w amp be through a 4x12 cab, and how much difference in perceived volume vs. a 1x10?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The little ~1W cigarette pack amps will drive a 4x12 quite nicely.

The sensitivity ratings for speakers are derived by driving the speaker with a 1W pure sine wave signal and measuring the SPL with a calibrated microphone mounted 1M in front of the speaker mounted in a baffle, on the center line of the speaker. Considering that the sensitivity levels for guitar amp speakers run from about 92 to 104 dB, that 1W can make a good bit of sound.

As for low power amp kits and designs, look here: http://ax84.com/?pg=projects

Under "Legacy Projects" you'll find the Firefly.

Under "Core Projects," they now have the AX-84 amps split up into modular preamp and power amp designs. Under power amps there's a 2W push-pull one.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that, Rico. I didn't know the sensitivity ratings were based on a 1w signal. That's interesting, and helpful. So a 2w amp through a fairly efficient speaker might be ... loud!

Yes, the Doberman kits (from AX84.com projects) are ones that I've seen. Also looking at Guytronix, who has one that's supposed to be more Vox-like, which is something I'd like. (And he's local. :D )

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have a 1W Hughes & Kettner Cream Machine (driven by 12AX7 tube). It's more than enough to give good bedroom volume and a healthy lot of distortion (depending on the 12A?7 tube that is in the preamp stage) - I'm using a 12AT7 (pre) and a 12AX7 ("power").
There's some nice 1/2W stuff from Z-Vex, if I'm not mistaken.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

AC/DC AM table radios of the miniature "All American Five" tube variety, with a 50C5 output tube, put out about 150 mW if I'm not mistaken. They usually have a dinky little speaker in the 3-4" range, and still can get pretty loud.

Nope, my memory's failing. I looked it up. Typical operation figures for output range from 1.9 to 2.3W for a 50C5 running on 110-120V. Pretty loud anyway, with those dinky inefficient little speakers.

Maybe one of these days I'll get around to building a little guitar amp (not AC/DC, due to the "hot chassis" issues) with the output stage modeled on that. I'm sure it's been done.

I think that might be the tube used in the Silvertone amp-in-case models.

Running an EL84 on a low plate and screen voltage around 110V would give similar results. Those tubes are still in production, a big advantage, though 50C5s are still common.

The problem with that little Z-vex amp is the subminiature tube it uses, which is out of production and not all that common.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I have a 1W Hughes & Kettner Cream Machine (driven by 12AX7 tube). It's more than enough to give good bedroom volume and a healthy lot of distortion (depending on the 12A?7 tube that is in the preamp stage) - I'm using a 12AT7 (pre) and a 12AX7 ("power").

How do you like it? I sometimes see these or some of the other small H&K amps like the Blues Master for sale at a not too large price. Worth it is a small practice amp? How about as a booster / overdrive?

Thanks.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Greybeard: how is the clean tone on the H&K?

Rico: yeah tearing apart a tube radio and making a guitar amp would be fun if I had any idea what I was doing. :wink: A prefab unit, or a kit with very specific instructions is more up my alley.

Looked up the Z-Vex and that tube situation scares me; the company has a whole web page devoted to changing the tubes. Looks like work.

Also the smaller Guytronix has an odd 6N1P tube in the power stage. Anyone familiar with it?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

6N1P info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6N1P

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Mitch,

Probably you know this site: http://www.amptone.com/#lowwattamps

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

I have a bumbox (there's supposed to be an umlaut over the u, pronounce it "boombox") Lead 1 that is a 1W amp that's supposed to have a Marshall-ish sound. To me it sounds fairly along the lines of a JCM900. It uses the aforementioned 6n1p for the power tube. I play it through a 12" cab, and even at 1W, it can be pretty loud. Clean tones aren't anything to brag about though, but it does a pretty nice AC/DC crunch.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help guys!

LOL at "bumbox." That does look very cool though.

Probably leaning toward the Guytronix with the 1/2-watt to 2 watt converter. A little Voxkiller.

Now I need to think about the right speaker to match it to... Maybe the Weber Blue Pup if I use my little 10" cab ... or maybe something bigger ... :)

ReplyQuote
(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member

Lovepedal makes a 1/2 Watt amp in low gain and ultra high gain versions.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've had it tied up to a 12" Fane speaker (the real, built in Barnsley Fane) and the clean is pretty good. I took out the 12AX7 from the pre-amp stage, because there was too little clean for me, the 12AT7 is better, but could be improved even more with a 12AU7 or 12AY7.

There is still a good amount of everdrive/distortion, even with the 12AT7.

For home practice it's ideal.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

My lil Vox DA5 goes down to .5w, but is SS.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I have a Bumbox "Sally", a 1w amp that uses a 12AX7 as it's output tube. The guy who makes Bumbox amps doesn't do these anymore, his lineup has changed since I got mine. I run it through a 10" speaker and it's pretty loud but can be kept down to reasonable levels.

It's a good little amp but a real one trick pony. Does a great '70's lead crunch. No clean tone to speak of.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3