Notifications
Clear all

Don'tcha just love when your board grows

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Hi.
Alex of Arcadia reporting for the fun of it. I'm one of those post 40 year old convert left handers who just started playing

Posted : 30/12/2006 12:22 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Seems to happen alot around Christmas. :) Welcome to GN

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 30/12/2006 12:56 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Welcome Alex...convert to righty or back to lefty?

40? Starting early eh?

Just wanted to let you know at the end of the first year you'll have a good number of songs under your belt. By 42 you'll be pretty darn good. By 43 you'll be giving hints and tips to the local beginners. By 44 you'll be the local phenom with a bit of practice. By 45 you'll have a number of students and be a regular performing with the local group of players at open mics, the occasional party and every so often by request. You may travel great distances to jam with friends. People will wish they had started as young as you must have.

Unfortunately by then you'll also own 20 guitars and be jonesin' for the 21st and if you are an especially sad case you'll be moderator of a guitar forum that gets 20 million hits a month.

Sigh....ain't life grand. :D

Posted : 30/12/2006 1:06 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Unfortunately by then you'll also own 20 guitars and be jonesin' for the 21st and if you are an especially sad case you'll be moderator of a guitar forum that gets 20 million hits a month.

And if you change your name.. we might even secretly refer to you as.. The Nickinator

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 30/12/2006 1:17 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

All except the "phenom" part.

Posted : 30/12/2006 2:26 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hey Alex, welcome to the world of guitar! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 30/12/2006 2:31 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 30/12/2006 3:07 pm
(@Anonymous)

Welcome Alex...convert to righty or back to lefty?

40? Starting early eh?

Just wanted to let you know at the end of the first year you'll have a good number of songs under your belt. By 42 you'll be pretty darn good. By 43 you'll be giving hints and tips to the local beginners. By 44 you'll be the local phenom with a bit of practice. By 45 you'll have a number of students and be a regular performing with the local group of players at open mics, the occasional party and every so often by request. You may travel great distances to jam with friends. People will wish they had started as young as you must have.

What's really new is that I can post by phone during breaks. But then you tend to abreviate.

Lets see I started at 42, I am 45. My I will be saying 50 soon enough. I've already got 5 guitars although I hardly ever play the bass.

I do have a few songs, more accurately I can make easy open chord changes to play along with a lot of songs and I'm starting to add more exotic sounding chords.

The newest toy is my biggest purchase my mid-level Yamaha nylon. She broke down and said get it for Xmas.

So those were my presents the guitar and the phone that allows me to post here.

Almost forgot natural lefty but with the advantage of writing and eating right handed along with hours of basketball drills makes my hand kind of useful.

Posted : 30/12/2006 4:06 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Welcome to GN!

I find it curious how a huge lot of us have this same story, of starting guitar in our 40's and beyond. It's like an epidemic. There's gotta be some interesting sociological studies lurking in there somewhere.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 30/12/2006 4:13 pm
(@6was9)
Trusted Member

Welcome.....Did you say lefty???????? :D

" I'm not sure what happened, it was tuned when I bought it."

Posted : 30/12/2006 8:38 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi and welcome,

I'm one of the older beginners too.... you can tell because when I read the thread title I thought it said

"Doncha just love it when your beard grows"..

Aha, I thought, a ZZ Top fan....

Not sure if it's the glasses or the brain that's faulty. :wink:

Cheers, Chris

Posted : 30/12/2006 11:42 pm
(@doc-gliss)
Eminent Member

Nice to meet you, Alex! I too, am new here and in my forties, but have been playing a long time. Over the last couple of years, I've played for several local musicals with a lot of teenagers in the casts and it's made me think a bit about those of us in our forties who enjoy playing more than ever (or are just beginning). I could look around and think "Gawd, some of my gear is older than these kids!" On the other hand, people like us are still hangin' with 'em, so we are fortunate enough to have held on to our enthusiasm for silly things like guitars while acquiring (hopefully) a little bit of wisdom along the way. All in all, it's a very nice place to be.

Just like Guitar Noise!

If the dude woke up this mornin', he's playin'.

Posted : 31/12/2006 1:20 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Alex.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 31/12/2006 2:36 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Alex!! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 31/12/2006 6:52 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Haven't a clue where Arcadia is, but welcome anyway....

I'd been playing the same three chords for years, then I found GN and discovered.....gasp....minors, sevenths, sus4ths etc....

Lots to learn here, stick around - lots of us over 40-s - and have fun!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 31/12/2006 7:22 pm
Page 1 / 2