Notifications
Clear all

Greetings from a newbie

16 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@heyheymymy)
Topic starter

Hi, all. This is my first post. I'm a 40-something beginner guitar player. I currently have an acoustic (Tacoma DM-9) on which I try to bang out Hole, Green Day, Liz Phair, Warren Zevon, Neil Young, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Springsteen, Pixies, etc. As you might reasonably conclude from that list of artists, I'm also looking for an electric guitar. For reasons having mostly to do with aesthetics (prefer sold body single cut-aways in the Tele or LP mould), budget (as far under $500 as reasonably possible), and personal preference, I've narrowed my highly unscientific search to a G&L Tribute ASAT Classic or Special, Reverend Flatroc or Charger, and, as of today and reading some posts on this board, the Samick Greg Bennett FA2.

The G&L Tributes and Reverends are both under $500 (barely). I can't find much reliable info on Samick (including, incredibly, dealer info), but they seem closer to $300, which, all things being equal, is a lot more attractive to me. I know I need to look/see/listen/feel for myself, but I'd appreciate any advice about newbie guitar shopping you can offer, including any first-hand knowledge of these guitars. They all seem like good quality instruments to me, so in the end it will come down to dealer/availability, assuming fit/finish/playability etc. are all in the same ballpark.

Thanks!
David

Posted : 30/12/2006 11:59 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey David. Welcome to GN. I dont know if it would satisfy you or not but from what you can see in the Guitar Players discussion the '51 for $99 bucks has been named a winner around here. Might be a good selection for you too. There is no way that, assuming you continue playing, this will be your last guitar. But its a great way to get into what others seem to think is a really nice guitar for dirt. I am ordering mine next week.

Hope to see more of ya.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 31/12/2006 12:07 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the boards David!

I've never played G&L or Reverend guitars, but hear they are great guitars. Good luck with your guest. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 31/12/2006 5:28 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN :D For $200 you can get A squier standard tele or strat, For about $360 you can get a MIM fender strat.I have had a Samick strat, I liked it but you can get a real fender strat or tele for about the same price.You might check out the Behringer GMX210, good amp for under $200...ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 31/12/2006 12:52 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Have you checked the Epiphone LPs? They are nice guitars for under $500. Or, my personal favorite LP "copy", the Agile, which are available only through the internet at rondo music's site (search google for the website).

Posted : 31/12/2006 4:08 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 31/12/2006 4:13 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, David!! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 31/12/2006 6:46 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, love the name!

Rock and roll will never die.......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 31/12/2006 7:25 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN. Good luck with the guitar search. It's so much fun and enjoyable. Wish I could afford to do it more often. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 31/12/2006 9:57 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN.

Enjoy your stay.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 02/01/2007 11:14 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've played the G&L Tribute Strat and the "George Fullerton" Strat, both of which were excellent guitars and the quality of the Tribute belies the price differential to the "George Fullerton".
Had I not had my eyes on a US Strat, I would probably have bought a G&L.

Oh, and welcome to GN.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 02/01/2007 12:15 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Another Green Day fan ?

Just like me, i beat anything out of my acoustics and even shamelessly record them to the plight of other people. :lol:

Welcome to the jungle. (of crazy musicians)

Posted : 02/01/2007 1:51 pm
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi David and welcome! Now that you've done your research, go and do a hands on tryout of the guitars at a local guitar shop. You might even find one that calls out to you that isn't even on your list.

Posted : 02/01/2007 8:40 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 03/01/2007 1:36 am
(@shahdhch)

Hi, welcome from another newbie.

Posted : 03/01/2007 2:15 am
Page 1 / 2