Clear all

Go ahead and add me to the roster....

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@juice)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Another beginner here that just happened to stumble across this great community one day. Have lurked for a while now and taken advantage of some of the lessons, so I decided to finally make my presence known. Just picked up the guitar about a month ago and have been giving it a much more serious effort this time around at age 28 than the multiple other attempts throughout my life. It all started when I was 14 and a co-worker of my father's offered to let me borrow an electric rig to see if I might take it up as a hobby. (Sneaky way of focusing my mind on something to keep me out of trouble,I think!) It was gorgeous, practically brand new...vintage white Fender Tele with a Peavey amp. Unfortunately, I spent more time either standing in front of the mirror giving my best Springsteen impersonation than practicing. It ended up going back to the owner just a few months later once it became a permanent fixture in it's case under the bed.

Fast forward to 1998, still regretting never having learned, I buy a cheap pawn shop acoustic and am set on giving it another go. Same thing, no serious practice once the pain hit my fingers. Several other attempts over a few more years, same result. Here's the funny part, about two years ago my wife encourages me to take up......the drums. (She claims that drummers are sexy, how could I refuse!?!) I get a good deal on a set, practice, take lessons and even learn a few things. It never really grasped me. I was trying to listen to more and more drum-heavy music. Then one day it dawned on me, I was missing the music I had always been drawn to..good old strong acoustic stuff. So, just before Christmas I head into the local Guitar Center "just to look", and fall in love with an Epiphone EJ-200. It felt great, had great sound and was beatiful. I walked out the door with it.

My brother-in-law mentioned not even two days later that he was wanting a guitar for Christmas. Being the good guy I am, I gave him my old one for a Christmas gift (of course buying a case and putting new strings on, etc.) We are both learning on our own but looking forward to playing together. I already have GAS though, as I went last weekend and bought a Squier '51 and small amp just to have an electric to play around on as well! I'm having a blast this go around with my laerning and have already advanced way past anywhere I had been before. So there it is, my long-winded life history. Thanks again for this community, and I look forward to what's ahead!

I just took real estate in your mind.

Posted : 19/01/2006 7:58 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Well now I can officially welcome you to GN. So welcome.

Sounds like you are serious this time so you just might stick with it. As frustrating as it can be at times it is well worth the effort so hang in there.

Good luck

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 19/01/2006 8:38 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Howdy!

#4491....

Posted : 19/01/2006 8:42 pm
(@fireman-sam)
Eminent Member

G'day from another 28 year old learner !

Posted : 20/01/2006 4:01 am