Clear all

Greetings from Asbury Park, New Jersey

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@kareemsoda)
Topic starter

Hello All!
Yes I really am from Asbury Park, but unfortunately none of our 2nd son's (Bruuuuuuce) musical ability has rubbed of on me. :lol:
I'm an old fart, who after years of wishing that I could play geetar have finally decided to put some actions behind that desire. I have been looking around at various sites, and at some You Tube videos trying to figure out what end is up on this instrument (slight exaggeration), and have been having some fun playing with the different chords. After all this playing around however some of the strings occasionally need to be tuned, and there is what is at the heart of my dissonance!
Sometimes with the help of a electronic cheap tuner, I am able to tune the strings successfully, other times :BOING:, broken strings! I was wondering...and hoping that someone could provide me with a list of progressions (if that is the right word)?
For example, if I am trying to tune the G string and the tuner says it is B#, do I need to go up the scale or down?

I am not really that stupid...... I just play the part on TV! :oops:
Thanks in advance!
Ed

Posted : 01/01/2010 1:27 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Ed! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 02/01/2010 12:55 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

What a nice place, Ed, with or without the Boss, but I'll take it with the Bossman, Bruce Springsteen, another butterscotch Tele player :lol: , and the Stone Pony night club (baseball training too)... and I'll bet it's even cooler with you there, so welcome aboard! 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbury_Park,_New_Jersey

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 02/01/2010 1:07 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise!! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 02/01/2010 10:17 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN.

It sounds to me like you're trying to tune the guitar too high. A tuner knows what "A" is, but not which octave it's in, so it will tell you that you have an "A", whether it's at 110Hz, 220Hz, 440Hz, 880Hz, etc.. So, trying to tune the A string to 220Hz ("G" string, 2nd fret) as opposed to 110Hz will be a continued source of frustration and broken strings.

I did a lesson on tuning (here) that may help you.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 03/01/2010 8:06 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm an old fart, who after years of wishing that I could play geetar have finally decided to put some actions behind that desire.

Well, you're in the right place then - there are literally HUNDREDS of us here who decided to take up guitar in our mid-to-late forties. Including me....I'd noodled about with 3 or 4 chords for about 20 years or so before I joined GN...since then I've learned a lot of new songs, but more importantly, learned a lot of theory - why you should use a 7th chord here, why you should use a minor chord here, etc etc etc.....

So start with the lessons, is my advice - they're not only well written, and give you a full song to learn at a time, but also tell you WHY you should be playing a certain chord here or there....

Enjoy the site, and if you see Bruce (the Boss) tell him from me, "thanks for all the great music!" - and, as an added bonus, there are a few songs of his in the Easy Song Database.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 08/01/2010 12:24 am