Happy humpday from Seattle

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@melander)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself. I've just started playing the guitar (if you can say that what I am doing is 'playing'.) :lol: I talked about wanting to learn to play enough that my girlfriend got me one of those guitar bento-boxes for Christmas with amp, bag, stand, tuner, picks, and strings included.

I've really been enjoying it so far. I've read a lot of David Hodge's beginner lessons and am still learning and practicing chord changes and scales - getting my fingers used to moving around the fretboard. I also learn little snippets of songs that I like and practice them. I plunk away at it for an hour or more every day, usually until my fretting hand cramps. My girlfriend asked me yesterday 'How many times do you plan to play that scale?' :)

I'm not particularly coordinated or musically talented, but I am persistent. I hope to be able to play for myself and maybe some family and friends someday. I like lots of different types of music from Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Bob Seger, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, early Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold to Lamb of God (though I despair of ever being able to play the later bands!)

The only guitar I have right now is the one that came in the box - a Fender 'Starcaster.' I'm actually pretty pleased with it, I think it sounds pretty good for a cheap guitar. I think the neck is a little narrow for me though, I have big hands. I tried a Schecter in the Guitar Center yesterday and it was much easier for me to fret cleanly. How soon do you guys think I should buy an upgrade guitar? I mentioned it to my guitar playing friend yesterday and he said that it was good that it was hard for me to play my current guitar, and that I would be a 'sissy' if I bought a 'sweet-ass' guitar now. He thinks I should suffer while learning :wink:

Well, anyway, I hope to be around a lot - poking around in the beginner's areas.

Posted : 21/01/2009 5:28 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 21/01/2009 7:58 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 22/01/2009 10:56 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

as to upgrading,
i believe that the better your guitar is set up, regardless of the brand, or model, the quicker you will progress, and the likelihood of frustration diminishes exponentially.
that said, i would buy the guitar that best matches the tone you enjoy playing, and not worry about what other people think.

#4491....

Posted : 22/01/2009 2:54 pm
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

Welcome
As for the guitar I would recommend that you find a guitar that is easy to play and sounds good to you.
I struggled for 3 years on my fender dg22. (It has a narrow neck too) like twisted said I was frustrated so I would play for a while then set it down (for about 6 months). My wife got me a guild for Christmas. It plays like butter I can land an F chord on the guild with ease, I pick up the fender F chord buzzes.
I have played more songs in the past month than I did in 3 years on my fender.

I'm no guitar expert. I don't even know if a guild guitar is a "good guitar name" just speaking from my experience. Hope it helps.

Tim

Posted : 22/01/2009 3:38 pm
(@melander)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Great! Thanks for the helpful advice guys :) It's nice to find such a pleasant and helpful community!

I might go get that guitar this weekend. One thing that I forgot to mention is that the reason I was considering getting something so soon (before I'm really playing anything other than snippets, and not playing those very well.) Is that the Guitar Center near me sells used guitars, this Schecter that I tried is used and is much, much cheaper than a new one.

It also has a mother of pearl skull and crossbones inlaid at the 12th fret, which I thought was pretty cool. :D

It is a Schecter Jolly Roger, if anyone has experience with those I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

Posted : 22/01/2009 4:46 pm