Notifications
Clear all

Hello

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@namsag)
Topic starter

Hi, new guy here, I have been perusing some of the lessons and tabs here and wanted to join in. I am male, 45 yrs old. I have always wanted to try to learn guitar and I finally figured I better get started. I have a Walden D610 I bought on the advice of a friend, it sounds great (when someone else plays it) and I am really happy with it. Things are going pretty slow for me, I have not made a lot of progress, but my main goal is to get my daughters , ages 3 and 7, interested in playing. If I can do that I will consider my efforts successful. I like acoustic rock, folk, some old country, really love the fingerpicking style, working hard to try to learn a little. I am posting a question in the lessons section about the Silent Night tab, I hope someone can help. Best regards, namsag.

Posted : 10/03/2010 1:23 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Welcome aboard. I noticed you have two daugthers. I have 3 myself and had the same idea about getting them into the hobbies I liked. When they were your daughters ages I was very heavily involved in sports so naturally I tried encouraging all of them to play some sport along with the dancing they took starting at 3 since my wife was a dance instructor.

They all stuck with the dancing until about high school but gave it up at that point and although they were all pretty good in sports especially the oldest by the time they got to high school they had enough.

Interestingly I started playing guitar around that time actually a year or so after I bought my oldest a guitar. She still plays and writes her own songs and does an occasional open mic but it's more of a hobby and I play with a bunch of guys in a garage band (who may make out at some point)

It's funny how things change. I wouldn't feel to bad if your daughters don't have an interest in music it may not be there thing you never know, as long as they do something they like it's all good.

But having an instrument around and seeing their father play it will go along way toward sparking any interest they may have. You just have give them the opportunities and let them decide for themselves.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 11/03/2010 6:22 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Welcome, namsag. Enjoy your music and I hope your daughters will get the same bug! Cheers! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 11/03/2010 6:24 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 14/03/2010 12:17 pm