Notifications
Clear all

Hello All

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@george-c)
Topic starter

Hello guys, im glad i have stumbled across this site i have recently started to learn guitar its something ive wanted to do since the 90's and have finally got round to having ago at this great instrument. im having problems already though ive been having lessons every other week since November at £25 a pop but feel that i have hit a wall already, i started with three little birds, lucky man, knocking on heavens door and have recently moved onto Polly,about a girl, and have picked up a few other bits but i feel im struggling now playing the same songs over and over any help advice would be appreciated. thanks for taking the time to read George

Posted : 23/01/2012 8:52 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN!!!

Im in kinda the same boat. I started lessons in fall, after years of trying myself. There have been times I feel like im just spinning my wheels, and not going anywere... I have found that if I do one of a few things it helps... first if you are in a rut doing the same song.... step back and find the part you dont do as well as you think you should.... brake it down, and slowly work through it... ALso try going back a month or so, and working on somehting you did in the past.... try to polish it up a bit... maybe work on a part that you fought with at the time. Or just take a day and play.... have fun, try to make up a tune, or change around a few others your working on.. All of these have hellped me when I have struggled a bit.

Paul B

Posted : 23/01/2012 12:52 pm
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Hello guys, im glad i have stumbled across this site

That's how I found this place...good stumble...it's quite "homey" actually! Good souls. Welcome...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 23/01/2012 8:14 pm
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member

George,
I've been where you are, just keep practicing. Little by little it will feel more natural. It takes one step at a time to climb a mountain. :)
Andy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

Posted : 23/01/2012 10:40 pm
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Hey, George...did ya expect to go to sleep one night and wake up knowing how to play a guitar? If so, look under your bed...there might as well be a stack of gold bullion under it, too. Eh? Why not? The only place "success" comes before "work"...is in the dictionery!

Start right down the list of forums...you said "hello"...now there's the beginner's spot...then under that more 'n more questions as each and every light bulb ('scuse me, I meant light-GLOBE) goes off over your head. I've seen plenty of other music-related sites, but this one rules for guitars.

When I was a kid your age, my goal was to MASTER one note a week. Chase one note a week absolutely everywhere it can possibly exist on the fretboard. Take it off one chord at a time, most conveniently, the E is a great place to start on a six string. Learn the chord and where all those little baby "E's" are...chew through all the notes from an E chord...

That's Cat's Fax 102! Cat's Fax 101 is now under Q&A...

Cat

Posted : 24/01/2012 3:06 am
(@george-c)
Topic starter

Thanks alot for the replys people, im taking everything on board what people have said, i think maybe my teacher is in it for the money as ive spoke witha few other students who come out of a lesson and havent actually done anything constuctive, im guessing every industry has its downside.
I will certainly go back over certain parts of songs and master where the chords are on every bit of the fret board, and that seems like a better lesson then i have been having lately and it cost alot less then £25 an hour. Thanks again guys

Posted : 26/01/2012 1:18 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think playing comes easy ..... Oh wait! I've been practicing for 34 years! :lol: What you put in gives you back in multiples though. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 27/01/2012 7:37 pm
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Yep...what he said!

Cat

Posted : 28/01/2012 12:37 am