Hello all...from Singapore

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi everyone,

Newbie here...27/m started learning guitar about a month ago after having bought a Takamine G440C acoustic.

i started out with learning chords and right now, am still learning chords :) :P

Chords that i have learnt curently are: G, C, E, A, D, Emin, Amin, Dmin....and trying to keep with a song rythmn still sucks, my chord progression are slow...:(

Am also getting the 7th chords down, along with trying to learn some barre chords...basic apeggio and fingerpicking...

Question: Currently, i can only play tabs and i am always tempted to play some intermidiate songs from the website like ultimate guitar by tabs, but since they show only tabs, how do i learn the fingering positions since they dont show any?

rgd,
Kenny

I fell in luv wit my G440C Takamine~ :)

Posted : 24/05/2007 7:14 am
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Kenny. Welcome to GN.

Denny

Posted : 24/05/2007 7:20 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Kenny, and welcome to GN. :D Yep, when playing alot of tabs, they don't show the fingerings, so you just have to try to find something that works yourself. Alot of songs have passages in the song that you can learn bit by bit, then put them all together. Try to find the "root" position for your index finger, (usually the lowest note played in the passage), that you can comfortably play the rest of the notes from with little or no hand movement. Hope that helps.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 24/05/2007 11:30 am
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

hmm....ok Dan, initially i tot i was missing out something cos i am not able to figure out the finger positions.

now i fully understand what Danny and you said.

tnks!!! :D

Posted : 24/05/2007 2:49 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Kenny! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

I like to recommend a site called Chordie.com for beginners. It's a tab site, but it also gives you the chord shapes that are used in a particular song. You can also click on the chord shapes to get alternate shapes for the same chord. It also allows you to transpose from one key to another (+ or - 5 semitones). It helps a lot in the beginning to have the chord shapes right there to refer to!
:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 24/05/2007 3:23 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Kenny.

Look forward to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 24/05/2007 3:57 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Kenny! 8)

Posted : 24/05/2007 4:06 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi Kenny, and welcome to GN!

Doesn't matter how good, bad or mediocre we all are now...we all went through the same learning process, and without exception we ALL probably sucked for a while. Keep practising those changes, there WILL come a time when they become second nature.

Best of luck.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/05/2007 5:54 pm
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

Welcome to the forums. I'm new here too, and this place is a great resource.

It's a dry heat!

Posted : 24/05/2007 8:14 pm
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member

Hey, Ken. I am a newbie and in the same boat as you trying to learn some basic chords, etc.

Do you live in Singapore? I was just there on a business trip a few weeks ago - great city!

Posted : 24/05/2007 9:04 pm
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi Elecktrablue,

chordie.com is a great site for song tabs & chords, thanks! may i ask again if a song is displayed in chords, does it mean that it is strumming song? and i will need to figure out/create the strumming patterns myself?

Vic Lewis,

thanks for your encouragement! :)

Hi ejwebb,

yup, i am a Singaporean. a newbie in music and guitar. i hope that u get better in wat u r doing, mayb one day when u come to Singapore again, u can show me a thing or two :)

Cheers

Posted : 25/05/2007 11:03 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Singapore ?

I think that is a great place. (as heard from my dad, who has visited there.)

Hopefully one can find left handed guitars out there...(You knew this was coming).

How is the Mustafa Store ?

Posted : 25/05/2007 11:57 am
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Welcome Kenny, it seems like your moving right along. The really great thing is when all of a sudden something just seems to work out right, progress is not a steady thing but rather you hit peaks and plataues. Stick around here you'll get plenty of tips and encouragement. Its nice to see what an international community we are.

Posted : 25/05/2007 10:32 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Hi Elecktrablue,

chordie.com is a great site for song tabs & chords, thanks! may i ask again if a song is displayed in chords, does it mean that it is strumming song? and i will need to figure out/create the strumming patterns myself?

Yes, you will have to figure out the strum patterns (one of the things beginners tend to have the most difficulty with). I find it easiest if I listen to the song and try to play along until I get it (or at least something close to it!). First I'll run through the chords to make sure I've got the order in my mind, then I'll try to play along with the song. And I just keep doing that until I get it! Perseverance pays off in the end!

:D

Oh! One other thing! I noticed in your original post that you wrote out E minor, A minor and D minor as Emin, Amin and Dmin. Just to avoid confusion in future, those are generally written as Em, Am and Dm. The majors are strictly the letter values, i.e., E, A and D. The way you wrote it could be confused with diminished chords, which would be Edim, Adim and Ddim, etc....

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 26/05/2007 3:34 am
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Welcome Kenny, it seems like your moving right along. The really great thing is when all of a sudden something just seems to work out right, progress is not a steady thing but rather you hit peaks and plataues. Stick around here you'll get plenty of tips and encouragement. Its nice to see what an international community we are.

Ya, i agree, i also noticed that whenever i tried to practice for long hours, towards the last moments, i could not make much progress. BUT after a night of rest, the following day, when i tried to repeat on last night lessons, i realized that i could play much better and could tell that the improvements can be SEEN.. .

Yesterday i was try to learn a song by Gun & Roses - Don't Cry. During the courus part, i would strum Fmaj barre, Gmaj barre and then Am. A week ago i was practising the movable barre chords with little progress, last night i tried the barre chords for Don't cry, i realized that i was making more progress than the last time i was practising barre chords, although it was very slow and the sound aint very nice lol...

Hi Elecktrablue,

Ok ok tnks lol.... :D

Hi Rahul (Speedy Gonzalez),

Mustafa is a shopping centre located at little india. Its a 24Hr shopping centre and theres a lot of indians there..i dont think they sell any guitars there...

For left hand guitars, i noticed that some big stores that i go, they only sell one or two..

Cheers Everyone

Posted : 26/05/2007 5:33 am
Page 1 / 2