19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the forums and to guitar. I'm playing an electric, a greg bennett signature series (link) (odd, mine doesn't have a whammy bar) with a little Crate GX15 amp (12W). I picked up a Behringer distortion pedal too, cause I like the distortion sound and I figured it'd help me practice more. That hasn't worked really hehe, I've been pretty inconsistant, which I'm trying to remedy.

I'd like to get involved with recording my own music with my computer and then mixing it up with other things, I'm just not too sure on how to do that (even though I'm a computer geek). I've got Acid and SoundForge, which I've used for some projects, I already know they're a blast. Once I get good enough to record myself it should be even more fun.

Any suggestions on getting my guitar sound into my computer? Just use the line in for input? Since I'm putting it into the computer, does that mean I'm not using my amp or distortion pedal, the guitar is going straight to my rig?

It's a dry heat!

Posted : 24/05/2007 2:01 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Rune! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

I used to live in Arizona ... actually, I was born there! ... But, I got to Texas as fast as I could! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 24/05/2007 3:37 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Rune, welcome to GN. :D I'm fairly new to PC recording, and I use Audacity, and I mic my amp with a cheap PC mic. :oops: Head over to the In The Studio forum for alot of good advice on recording, and help. :D Hope to hear some recordings from you soon. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 24/05/2007 11:45 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Rune.

Good to have you aboard.

As Dan has said there is already a whole heap of information in the In The Studio Forum. Your answer may already be lying within there. If not ask away.

As for me, I used to use a cheap USB audio interface (M-Audio FastUSB I think it is) to get my guitar plugged into my computer. I also use Audacity, among other software for recording. Audacity seems to be very popular round here and probably for good reason. It's free, easy to use and gets the job done with a minimum of fuss.

HTH.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 24/05/2007 3:55 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Yup, I used the m-audio mobilepre USB I think. Works great. Audacity is a really good free tool as well.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 24/05/2007 4:04 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Welcome Rune!

Since I'm a Mac user I use GarageBand but Audacity is a great software for recording.

Nuno

Posted : 24/05/2007 4:08 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

The other good thing about Audacity is that it's available for windows, Linux and Mac.

As a recent newcomer to the world of Mac I have been experimenting with Garageband and Logic Express. I still use Audacity as well. It depends what I'm doing at the time.

It's all good stuff.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 24/05/2007 4:16 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The other good thing about Audacity is that it's available for windows, Linux and Mac.

As a recent newcomer to the world of Mac I have been experimenting with Garageband and Logic Express. I still use Audacity as well. It depends what I'm doing at the time.

It's all good stuff.

8)

I agree. I didn't express precisely. Sorry.

I have GarageBand and also Audacity in my Mac and I use both. Each application allows different things. Some tasks are easier or only availables with Audacity/GarageBand. I also use Audacity in my computers running Linux.

I also own Cubase but I didn't install yet. It came with the Zoom G2.1u.

Posted : 24/05/2007 4:31 pm
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Rawr, thanks for all the replies everybody.

It's free, easy to use and gets the job done with a minimum of fuss.
Free, easy to use, and does the job can't be argued with in my book. I have some M-Audio software floating around, but never really used it. The things you buy for classes but never use... :?
Welcome to GuitarNoise, Rune! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

I used to live in Arizona ... actually, I was born there! ... But, I got to Texas as fast as I could! :D
Texas hmm? Bet you've never heard this one before: "So is everything really bigger in Texas?"

I'm originally from New York, about 100 miles NW of NYC. I only moved out here a few years ago. I like it so far. I ride my motorcycle every day because it never rains. :D

It's a dry heat!

Posted : 24/05/2007 5:01 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just adding my welcome..... :D :D :D

I'm one of those people who'd never recorded anything before I joined GN....and the advice I got was to download Audacity and buy a PC mic. Good advice, like Dan's above - I took it, and now it's hard to drag me away from the computer!

I play my guitar through my amp, then put the mic a few inches away....simple. Anything more technical and I'd be lost, although I have got the hang of overdubbing using audacity. And here's a tip Smokehouse gave me a while back (Thanks, Smoke!) - if you're recording vocals, get an old wire coathanger, stretch a pair of your girlfriend's tights around it and place it between your mouth and the mic. It'll get rid of all those pops and plosives....

Look forward to your recordings!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/05/2007 5:48 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Texas hmm? Bet you've never heard this one before: "So is everything really bigger in Texas?"

"No!", she said, smiling innocently. "I've NEVER heard that one before!" LOL! :lol:

I was born in Glendale, in Maricopa County. Actually on Luke AFB, but back then it was Luke Field. I've got relatives all over AZ! Mostly around Prescott and Tucson. I go out to visit every once in a while (the last time was nearly four years ago ... too long!) I love Arizona! The mountains and deserts are wonderful! As kids we used to wander the desert and pick up rocks and old bottles and arrowheads. My aunt and uncle would tumble the stones and polish them and make jewelry. I've got also some tomahawk heads my cousin picked up somewhere! My grandfather on my mother's side used to pan for gold in the mountain streams! (And I've still got one of his pans and a small bottle of gold. He also made a pair of earrings out of two same size nuggets that reside in my safe!)

Wonderful place! Wonderful memories!

(But Texas is the place to be for me!!) :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 24/05/2007 6:00 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Just adding my welcome..... :D :D :D

I'm one of those people who'd never recorded anything before I joined GN....and the advice I got was to download Audacity and buy a PC mic. Good advice, like Dan's above - I took it, and now it's hard to drag me away from the computer!

I play my guitar through my amp, then put the mic a few inches away....simple. Anything more technical and I'd be lost, although I have got the hang of overdubbing using audacity. And here's a tip Smokehouse gave me a while back (Thanks, Smoke!) - if you're recording vocals, get an old wire coathanger, stretch a pair of your girlfriend's tights around it and place it between your mouth and the mic. It'll get rid of all those pops and plosives....

Look forward to your recordings!!!

Vic

That a good sdavings over the price they charge for those pop filters, one of these days I'll take a look at the Audacity that I've downloaded eons ago and never used. Welcome Rune.

Posted : 24/05/2007 6:54 pm
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Not sure how soon I'll be recording, unless you folks want some newbie Mary Had a Little Lamb. Hmm, actually that could be kinda fun if there was a contest to mix in other tracks and make the best darned Mary song ever.
And here's a tip Smokehouse gave me a while back (Thanks, Smoke!) - if you're recording vocals, get an old wire coathanger, stretch a pair of your girlfriend's tights around it and place it between your mouth and the mic. It'll get rid of all those pops and plosives
Good idea. I've DJ'd a couple streaming music slots for a radio site (for the EVE Online game), so I rigged up something by taking some foam and wrapping it around the tip of my mic, then over the top and tucking it in and secured it all with a couple rubber bands. It worked great as a popshield. Kinda funny, I've had this crappy little NEC mic forever, probably the most basic model you could ever find, but it sounds fine.

I'm also a heavy computer gamer (Warcraft, guilty as charged), so I use my mic all the time to talk to other folks.
(But Texas is the place to be for me!!)
Hmm, never been there. What do you like so much about Texas?
Welcome Rune.
Hiya, thanks :)

It's a dry heat!

Posted : 24/05/2007 8:06 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Not sure how soon I'll be recording, unless you folks want some newbie Mary Had a Little Lamb. Hmm, actually that could be kinda fun if there was a contest to mix in other tracks and make the best darned Mary song ever.

Well if it's good enough for McCartney.......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/05/2007 8:12 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

(But Texas is the place to be for me!!)
Hmm, never been there. What do you like so much about Texas?

Texas is definitely a state of mind!

There is still enough room to breathe. I can (and do) leave my back door open (not just unlocked, actually open), while I'm gone. I do that partly to let the cats in and out, but also just in case my neighbor needs something, then she can come in and help herself and tell me about it later (she does the same thing for me). I live in a small town, so there's no hustle and bustle of a big city. Neighbors look out for each other and notice if something is not quite right and will come to check on you. If you ARE ill, they'll come with food every day and mow your yard and take you to the doctor if you need to go until you're able to take care of yourself, even if you aren't someone they talk to on a daily basis. A neighbor is a neighbor is a neighbor, and we look after one another.

Although, if you want the hustle and bustle it's only 30 minutes to an hour away. We have HUGE metropolitan cities like Dallas, Houston, Austin (the live music capital of the world, btw!), San Antonio. If you can get it in Los Angeles, New York or Phoenix, you can find it in any one of those cities as well.

People aren't instantly judgmental. Even if you're completely different from, say, Joe Blow down the road, Joe's still going to take the time to get to know you and he's going to search for that common ground that's going to enable you to be friends despite your differences, he won't immediately dismiss you as someone he doesn't want to know. People are laid back, slow to anger, respectful of each other's rights and privacy.

The people range from highly educated to barely educated, but it won't stop a highly educated person from being friends with a barely educated one. I guess it's just that the prejudices of today, and I don't mean just race or religion or sexual preferences, but more the prejudices of class, education and economic levels that haven't invaded the heartland of Texas yet. And, I like that a lot!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 25/05/2007 2:11 am
Page 1 / 2