Notifications
Clear all

Hello and Help

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@onegentlegiant)
Topic starter

Hello! I just joined yesterday but have been reading for quite some time now. I've been playing for a good 3-4 years now and am still learning new things either from this site, books, or playing with friends.

I feel very stupid asking his question here but I don't know where else to place it. I'm looking to buy a guitar. I've had my Yamaha FG-403S ever since I started playing and want to buy a guitar for myself. I'm looking at another Yamaha, an FG-160 green label and made in Japan, but I'm not sure if the price ($500+) it's selling for is worth it. I've read on sites saying that anything over $200 means you're being ripped off, but I've also read elsewhere that these guitars can go as much as 3-5x the original price. Can someone shed some light on my guitar buying situation?

Thanks.

Posted : 20/01/2010 12:02 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 20/01/2010 9:29 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hi and welcome!

Don't know much about those green labels, I jumped in and stole my little sister's when she was 7 and those labels were already red by 1970. But, they are lot more than $200.

Actually, they go for whatever people are willing to pay, but to a point, and condition is everything - but you can not see that on ebay, or always believe the description. Oh well, good luck. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 31/01/2010 3:14 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8) Did you get your guitar buying situation figured out?

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 13/02/2010 1:07 pm
(@onegentlegiant)
Topic starter

Welcome aboard! 8) Did you get your guitar buying situation figured out?

Thanks for the warm welcomes you guys. I'm looking at other sites for cheaper deals. If I can't find any, I'll probably shell out the dough to get this guitar.

Posted : 15/02/2010 5:50 am
(@zebrasteve)

The best advice I can give you for buying a guitar is do not buy it online. Everyones hands and body are unique and you need to actually play the guitar to see if it feel good to you. Do not assume that just because you pay a high dollar for a guitar that it will be the right one for you.

All guitars feel and also sound a bit different. I would try to either find a used guitar locally or go to Guitar Center or another music store and play many guitars before you make your choose.

Hope this helps!

Stop by Steve's web site and get free online guitar instructional videos and other cool stuff for guitarist. http://www.zebramusic.com

Posted : 21/02/2010 12:59 am
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

+1 to the try before you buy.

The last thing that you want is the guitar to arrive and then discover you don't like playing it.

Get down to a music shop and try it, most places i've been will price match the internet prices. So ask them if they do. You could get the same guitar, the same price, but not have to wait for delivery.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

Posted : 21/02/2010 9:52 pm