Clear all

Hello from Arizona

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hobson)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I recently found this forum when I started worrying that the forum where I used to hang out might disappear. It had just over 100 members and had been around about a year. Sure enough, it's gone. It was a friendly place called The Front Porch. Members were very supportive and bad manners were not tolerated. I looked at a bunch of other forums before I decided that Guitar Noise might be right for me. In the past I stopped visiting discussions that became dominated by huge egos and less than helpful attitudes.

I bought a cheap guitar when I was 13. That was over 40 years ago. I got pretty serious about it in high school and college. Then I had to get serious about other things. I took early retirement about four years ago and have since had lots of time to devote to music. I'm now beyond any level that I was ever at before as a guitarist.

For my own enjoyment, I play mostly fingerstyle. I also sing in a community chorus and accompany the chorus and various ensembles. I also try to play the mandolin, but not very seriously so far.

I currently own five guitars. Only two of them are worth mentioning. My favorite is the Gibson LC-1. Short scale and just the right size for me – a short woman with very small hands. Next is the Epiphone Dot. The same scale as the Gibson, with a similar neck. I bought it mostly for my chorus gigs, as it has a jazz sound that works with most of the music we do.

My current goal is to get back into more playing by ear, the way I started out. For many years I've been playing a lot from standard notation. I want to get better at improvising, arranging my own fingerstyle stuff, and being able to jam.

Renee

Posted : 17/05/2009 8:04 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Hobson! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

I was born in Arizona (but got to Texas as soon as I could! j/k!). Still have a few relatives out there, mostly around Mayer and Goodyear.

Your story sounds a lot like mine. First guitar at age 13 (exactly 40 years ago!), played for 10 or 12 years before putting it aside (for an egotistical husband who didn't want his wife getting the attention he wanted for himself), got divorced and picked it back up again. I also prefer fingerstyle and mostly only use picks now on my mandolin and dulcimer (my bass doesn't require one!)

You've found the right place here at GN. We are a family oriented forum with members ranging in age from 13 to "older than dirt". We don't tolerate bad manners, bad language, flaming and all that other stuff that goes on at most other forums. That's what makes us unique. Our members are more than willing to answer questions and take advice. Naturally, there are always one or two who have a hard time with differing opinions, but we deal with that quickly. There's really no place for egomaniacs here. We moderators try to stay as much in the background as possible and only intervene if it seems as if something is getting out of hand. You ought to fit right in!

Welcome! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 17/05/2009 9:00 pm
(@hobson)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the welcome. Since I've been lurking here for a little while, I know it's a great site. I look forward to being able to join in on the discussions.

I can't say that anyone else kept me from playing guitar over the years and I never entirely gave it up. There were just other things going on - family, job, house, etc. Having no job anymore leaves me with plenty of music time.

Renee

Posted : 19/05/2009 3:16 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 19/05/2009 6:39 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 20/05/2009 2:20 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice to meet you, Hobson. Your story sounds a lot like mine, give or take a couple of years here and there, and, uh, I'm male. I'm a year younger than Elecktrablue, and I never let her forget it - and she's far too much of a lady to ever remind me she's a much better guitarist and a lot prettier than me!

I think Elecktra said pretty much everything there, so I'll just add my welcome!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/05/2009 11:13 pm