Clear all

Hello from Australia!

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 Ulfy
(@ulfy)
Topic starter

I couldn't find too many people from Aussie over here. I'm 23, living on the Sunshine Coast.

I'm french canadian actually, but I married an aussie girl and moved here. :)

Anyhow, I'm quite a newbie to guitar. Strangely, I've always had this attraction to guitar, since I was about 14, and I've only bought my first guitar a month ago. Too late perhaps? Otherwise I've always been playing air guitar/drums/piano (even in public, much to my wife's embarassment) and loved it. :P

I guess what motivated me to really buy a guitar is my long-time hero, Sugihara Yasuhiro, widely known as "Sugizo". The guy was born a virtuoso, and even now, watching him play is just jaw-dropping. He was most famous for playing a 3-neck'ed guitar, playing fretless guitars and just the way he plays solos on the thing, just a walk in the park. He plays it differently than any other guitarist I've seen too.

I've already been reading the lessons and easy songs for beginners for a few days now, and learning a great deal from them!

Anyway, I'm glad to be here. :P

Tell him the liberator who destroyed my property has realigned my perception.

Posted : 22/11/2006 1:17 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey Ulfy... Welcome to GN. There are actually quite a few Aussies here. Most of em are pretty nice. :lol: God forbid 23 being to late to start guitar. Many of us are near twice that and recently started. Never too old I think.

Enjoy yourself and hope to see more of ya.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 22/11/2006 1:44 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome! I'd never heard of Sugizo, but there's quite a few clips of him on YouTube - he's pretty good :)

Oh, and dead is too old, anything else is fine :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 22/11/2006 1:55 pm
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member

welcome to the board! im also a newbie, to the site and guitar. too old, you ask? never! im 32, and im having more fun with the guitar now than when i first picked it up as a teen-ager (i gave up on it quickly, before learning much of anything).

Dan

Posted : 22/11/2006 2:00 pm
 Ulfy
(@ulfy)
Topic starter

I wish I there was more decent clips of Sugizo on YouTube, there's really not much. But since you mentioned it, those are some clips with him: (all of them with the band LUNA SEA he was with, until they disbanded in 2000) Also a good way for me to promote my love of Japanese rock. :P

http://youtube.com/watch?v=msxMHbvHJ4w (Just an acoustic duo with Inoran, he's the one on the right with the funky hair)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mD3WzUlV8vY (The song "Rosier", it has a good solo in, starts at about minute 2:00, there again, he's the one with the purple hair, solo starts at 2:21. Normally it's more clean, but this is the only good live version of it on YT)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aKKKfgY7864 (Solo bit from the "Storm" music video. He's going a bit wild there, but a good solo nonetheless, in my opinion. That's usually how he plays anyway.)

There was my bit of propaganda. ;P

Besides, thanks for all your insights on age! Guess 23 isn't too old to start after all. :wink:

Tell him the liberator who destroyed my property has realigned my perception.

Posted : 22/11/2006 2:53 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you join us! 8) :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 22/11/2006 3:04 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome!

#4491....

Posted : 27/12/2006 12:25 pm
(@crisp51)

gday from another aussie
well adopted australia from the netherlands to be precise
never too old to pick up a guitar.
thirty years on i am considering taking piano lessons - never tried it before
love the guitar - just have to practice more often
welcome to the guitar noise forum

Chritiaan

Posted : 01/01/2007 11:39 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 01/01/2007 1:43 pm
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

Yeah dead is too old lol...I'm almost 38 and recently got bitten. Welcome!

Posted : 01/01/2007 3:43 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN! And don't worry about being 'old', you could be three times as old and still have plenty of time to pick up an instrument. :D

Posted : 01/01/2007 3:55 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Ulfy!! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 01/01/2007 8:41 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Ulfy.

It's never too late. I'm the big four-oh this month. Been playing a little over a year and loving it.

Look forward to seeing you round the boards.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 02/01/2007 11:07 am