Notifications
Clear all

Hello from Cuddebackville NY

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gjkozy)
Topic starter

Hello to all on Guitar Noise forum, I am a yearling to guitar playing. I had tried to play guitar on a cheap classic guitar in the mid to late seventies, but, at the time there where no resources readily available to self tutor and my girlfriend at the time moved on with her guitar. About a year ago a friend sold me a Fender Squire and small amp for twenty dollars, I am 55 years old and I feel that its never too late to learn something new. This got me started again, I was made aware of tabs as a alternate way to learn. The person who enlightened me to tabs plays lead guitar very well.

Since my splash back into the pool of music, I have purchased many different guitars. Each one has its own personality, each time I purchased a new (used) guitar I was hoping that it would be the one that would "fit" me. I have thick fingers and have a major problem playing the A chord. I play acoustic guitar and haven't looked at the Squire in a long time.

Being a beginner to guitar, I had a lot to learn about the guitar and the way they are made. Every guitar that I purchase has a different tone, sustain and action. I ended up purchasing a Takamine, Fender acoustic, Ibanez 6 and 12 string and two seventies vintage Concord guitars, none of which I paid more that one hundred fifty dollars for. Of the ones that I have, the Concorde guitars have the feel that I need for my left hand. But reading the questions to David Hodge, the question was asked about what guitar he played and thats how I found out about the Seagull series guitars.

I have found the guitar that will be with me forever, its a Seagull Maritime solid wood series. The difference to my novice ears was dramatic, now I am planning to sell my other guitars. It made me realize and appreciate that there is a difference in the way a guitar is designed and made. I practice every day, some days I think it sounds great and some days not so great.

Coordinating my left hand with right, fingering chords and chord changes are a constant in my practice sessions. I have from this site learned how to Travis Finger pick. I have also learned to play both versions of the The House Of The Rising Sun and Dust in the Wind is a on going project. I am now attempting to learn to play Amazing Grace. But a lot of times I just pick a few chords to practice to hone my accuracy and timing.

Of all the learn to play guitar sites, I have learned the most from Guitar Noise. In the beginning the tabulature and examples where excellent for me to understand, but since the copyright bugaboo thing, these great examples had to be taken down. To all of you on guitar noise, I would like to say that I appriciate all that it takes to play just one song and the dedication to wanting to play to keep you in it.

To all good luck.

Posted : 02/01/2011 3:22 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Note to self: find Cuddebackville on NY state map!

Hey, welcome, glad you found good stuff from the pros. I second the fact that Seagull makes a fine guitar, last forever too. I sold mine (perhaps more than one) and very recently, 2010, kept looking and re-bought a 1992. Good luck with guitar! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 02/01/2011 5:29 pm
(@gjkozy)
Topic starter

Thanks!

Posted : 02/01/2011 10:51 pm