Notifications
Clear all

Hello, hello

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@electric-gypsy)
Topic starter

Hello people. I've been checking the GN site for quite a long period now and it's helped go past many, many things. I've also been checking the forum on and off for a while and it's only now that I've decided to start posting here.
I am 19 years of age and first started to play at the age of 10 or so at a conservatory, and eventually stopped only a year after (there was a level of authority I could simply...not deal with) and threw the guitar away. It was only a matter of time until I grabbed it back at the age of 13-14. I then took a teacher for a while in order to get the basics back on track and here I am now learning all by myself...okay okay, maybe with a little help from books and of GN of course 8) .
I try not to restrict myself from only playing one genre of music and am willing to learn from any style...as long as it doesn't sound that...bad.
My main weaknesses surely have to be that I tend to neglect the theory part (I know, I know), have a tendency to rush things up a bit and set out too many goals at the same time, and a capacity of day-dreaming instead of playing, which really tends to annoy me at the end of the day.
Hopefully people on the forum will help me deal with this, along with other silly things that I do and of course, I'll try to contribute as much as I can to the forum.

See you later :wink: .

Posted : 08/03/2007 8:48 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Glad you finally decided to join us! 8) See you around! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 08/03/2007 9:00 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I try not to restrict myself from only playing one genre of music and am willing to learn from any style...

Perfect!

And welcome to GN! :wink:

Posted : 08/03/2007 9:59 pm
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

welcome.....if i knew the answer to the problems you stated...daydreaming,rushing things etc....then i'd be a millionaire cus we all suffer the same things :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 08/03/2007 10:14 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN and good luck and continued success with learning the guitar!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 08/03/2007 10:16 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Electric.Gypsy! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 08/03/2007 10:16 pm
(@electric-gypsy)
Topic starter

welcome.....if i knew the answer to the problems you stated...daydreaming,rushing things etc....then i'd be a millionaire cus we all suffer the same things :roll:

I know, I know. Sometimes I wonder what I could have done instead of wasting all those hours. Then I wonder about it too long which sends me back to the same old problem :wink: .

Thanks too all, looking forward to post on the forum.

Posted : 08/03/2007 10:28 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, EG.

See you round the boards.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 09/03/2007 6:02 am
(@anthropapologist)

Hi! And welcome from another newbie.
My main weaknesses surely have to be that I tend to neglect the theory part (I know, I know), have a tendency to rush things up a bit and set out too many goals at the same time, and a capacity of day-dreaming instead of playing, which really tends to annoy me at the end of the day.

Maybe you can put your daydreaming to use? I tend to work on fingerpicking while staring off into space, or watching TV. Just a simple progression, arpeggios or whatever. Although you're not really listening, there is actually a part of you that is and will gradually condition you against things that sounded 'bad'. I find it a great way to improve my fingerpicking and also I think it helped me disconnect my singing from my playing.

See you around the forums :)

Posted : 09/03/2007 8:29 am
(@electric-gypsy)
Topic starter

Hi! And welcome from another newbie.

Maybe you can put your daydreaming to use? I tend to work on fingerpicking while staring off into space, or watching TV. Just a simple progression, arpeggios or whatever. Although you're not really listening, there is actually a part of you that is and will gradually condition you against things that sounded 'bad'. I find it a great way to improve my fingerpicking and also I think it helped me disconnect my singing from my playing.

See you around the forums :)

Thanks, I tend to do this only while warming up. But right now I'm thinking I could do this during the arpeggios exercises I have. It's true that there's a part of me who's scared of not being concentrated on it enough, but I'll give it a go for a while...thanks again :D

Posted : 10/03/2007 1:09 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN

#4491....

Posted : 15/03/2007 10:19 pm