Clear all

Hello there boys and girls....

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@t-j_steele)
Topic starter

Hi

I'm 45 years (old or young depends how you look at it) and I've been playing for a year this month. Even since i was a kid, i wanted to learn a musical insdtrument but never had the time or money or occasion to learn. I finally decided to get started last year (before it's too late) and went ahead and purchased a Fender guitar package. Not the best choice i ever made but i figured i'll try it first and it should be good for a beginner (i guess)

I first started with tabs and quiclky moved on to chords. Once i figured out a few chords, i was all set. Man i can play an entire song with that E chord... LOL. Johnny Cash only plays a couple chords in most of his music... I now know the E and the A chords, man life is good. (as you can see, i love to have a good time and don't take life so seriously. Hey i'm 45, single, don't drink or smoke, now you gotta laugh at that) No but for real, i play a bit of everything, Christian music, Rock, Country. A friend of mine is helping me along but he likes the older music. I'm pushing him to get some newer stuff but he's just as stubburn as i am. He's also trying to get me to play with him on occasion. He plays Old age homes, churches ansd stuff like that just for fun and to entertain, nothing for cash. I see nothing wrong with that and i'll be accompanying him for the second time on Dec 6th. It's scarry but i love it.

Like most people, started with Staiways to heaven, House of the rising sun, etc... But my goals for the future is to learn to play the F key properly, as well as the B keys. Man those are giving me nothing but problems and headaches. My hands seem to be too small to play some chords too. Finger extenders anyone??? When i play (some people would dissagree with the play part cause it's mostly noises, not rythms), I play electric and accoustic on my Fenders. My next guitar is gonna be the Les Paul - Black Beauty. I love the sound of the Epiphones. I wouldn't mind getting a base guitar as well, but a bit later. I also find and try anything. Love Bon Jovi, Styx, 80's music in general, and some newer stuff that i hear on the radio and find on the net.

Anyways, gotta go. Hope you guys are ready to answer questions cause i got lots... (Ok now, don't be scared...)

T-J

Posted : 24/11/2008 9:06 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 25/11/2008 2:12 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, TJ! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 25/11/2008 7:41 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 04/12/2008 9:21 am
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Welcome to GN- good to hear from another person who started a bit later in life. I started myself at age 46- now almost 4-1/2 years ago. Been a helluva ride.It truly is never too late. Biggest challenge starting at our age is time to practice, don't know about you. But with job and family rsponsibilities and having a houise to take care of, all those things teenagers don't need to deal with, puts us elder folk at a distinct disadvantage. Still, I put priority on my instrument so I make the time.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

Posted : 09/12/2008 4:48 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, TJ! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 12/12/2008 6:22 pm