Notifications
Clear all

Hey there!

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@green_river)
Topic starter

Hey I have started playing steel string acoustic for the first time in October this year, I have kind of gotten a few chords can play : D major, E minor, E major, A minor, A major and G major

I am trying to work through all of these before progressing onto any songs or anything, I am finding C major and F major particularly tricky but I am sure it will come to me : :)

My guitar is a fender squire while not an expensive guitar or of particular brilliance I think it is working pretty well as a starter guitar and it is very pretty which is motivation enough to learn to play it properly!

I have a question (not sure if this is where to put it) I was watching a video on youtube about guitar strumming rhythm it was showing playing the A major chord, obviously the top E string isn't played but he said that I should block it with my thumb and still strum the note?? no matter where I put my thumb you can still hear the note? Can anyone explain how this works?

Thanks all I look forward to exploring here !

Posted : 18/12/2012 9:02 pm
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Hi and welcome to the forum Green_River.

Without seeing the youtube video you mention it's difficult for me to give you an exact answer but I would imaging he's talking about bringing the thumb on the fretting hand over the top slightly to allow the flesh of the thumb to touch the low E string. This can be done but it does depend on the size of your hands, the size of the neck of the guitar and how you are positioning your fingers.

It's usually best done by bringing the thumb over in line with your fingers i.e the 2nd fret.

Does this make any sense?

Posted : 19/12/2012 4:54 pm
(@green_river)
Topic starter

Thank you it is great to be here, this is the video that I mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLGoBjbq_9s and it is at 3:18 that he says that I should be muting the E string with my thumb. From what I understand from your message I just put my thumb on top of the chord, not hold it actually down to the fret? Is this how you can strum up and down so easily when not playing certain chords then?

Posted : 23/12/2012 5:25 pm