Notifications
Clear all

Hi There

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@youtoo)
Topic starter

Hi there guys I'm Mick from Dublin and have recently borrowed an acoustic from a friend of mine(I will get my own soon) and I'm determined to give it a good go to learn to play, I did a few lessons back in School(I'm now 39) so as you can imagine that was a long time ago so completely starting from scratch again. I am at the moment trying to familiarise myself with the major/minor chords and I'm nowhere near changing chords yet but I know it will take time. I registered here last night and have been browsing the site, I particularly like the easy lessons section. Hopefully I can learn a lot more from all the well informed people on this forum

Mick

Posted : 03/03/2006 7:37 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Greetings and Welcome to GN.

#4491....

Posted : 03/03/2006 7:42 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

glad to have you, you came to the right place :D

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 03/03/2006 9:10 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN.. Your in the right place for your goals.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 03/03/2006 9:45 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yeah welcome Mick - hmmm, 'bout time we had some more U2 in the easy songs.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 03/03/2006 10:21 pm
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Hi Mick, welcome to GN.

I too started late (late 40s) but I knuckled down to it and am getting the hang of it now. Mind you I practice every day sometimes for 3hrs a throw. I'm not saying thats what it takes to learn to play, I just cant seem to put the guitar down (addiction).

So stick with it, you'll be glad you did.

Rod. :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 03/03/2006 10:28 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Well, Welcome to YouToo! We all look forward to seeing you around the forums!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 03/03/2006 11:52 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome youtoo.. Ahh now I get Vic's comment. Duh.. I am slow. Welcome to GN.. I am about your age and I started a year ago. It will make sense in time, just keep playing.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 04/03/2006 4:02 am
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll say Hi and Welcome also.

You find plenty of great folks here from all walks of life willing help you become a better guitarist. I suggest doing finger exercises, which will improve your technique.

Start this exercise on the low E string 1st fret. Play all 4 notes on each string one note at a time using the fingers 1-2-3-4. Then move to each string repeating the pattern. Once you've gone from the Low E string to the High E string and back to the low E, move up one fret and start the pattern again. Till finally you worked your way all the way up the neck. Then Oh "YES" work your way back done the neck. This will help you improve more than you'll realise.

Also have fun.

Joe

Posted : 04/03/2006 4:17 am
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Welcome! Be sure to let us know what kinda guitar you get!

Posted : 05/03/2006 12:47 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Mick! Welcome aboard! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 05/03/2006 2:55 am
(@youtoo)
Topic starter

I'll say Hi and Welcome also.

You find plenty of great folks here from all walks of life willing help you become a better guitarist. I suggest doing finger exercises, which will improve your technique.

Start this exercise on the low E string 1st fret. Play all 4 notes on each string one note at a time using the fingers 1-2-3-4. Then move to each string repeating the pattern. Once you've gone from the Low E string to the High E string and back to the low E, move up one fret and start the pattern again. Till finally you worked your way all the way up the neck. Then Oh "YES" work your way back done the neck. This will help you improve more than you'll realise.

Also have fun.

Joe

Thanks for the welcome and I'll definitely try this exercise because at the moment dexterity on the fret board is a bit daunting, so thanks again guys :)

Mick

Posted : 09/03/2006 8:55 pm