Clear all

Hey Guitar Noise People!

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@crashing-sun)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

After much working at home and in the studio I'm finally getting my own band together. I've been in a few other stage and studio projects as a guitarist but nothing that was all mine. My first serious album is almost finished and it's been getting a great response from within the inner circle, those that have managed to hear bits of it while it's still in production.

My main interest here is primarily to get feedback on my lyrics, something for me that has often been the hardest part of writing songs and the one thing I tend to get the least feedback on. I may have some interest in the singing forum as well since I'm a mostly self-taught vocalist from a completely incompetant level and have piggybacked on whatever I could learn from audio books and friends.

You can hear lots of my much earlier demo material at my link but I warned you about the singing already. <w> On the new album I've since learned about and developed things like support, increasing range, finding easier keys to sing in, and communicating emotion. Anyway enough about that and me. As I've said I'm primarily interested in the lyrics forum so any advice on how to start there would be appreciated. (e.g. Do I have to review a number of other lyrics first?)

Thanks!
Jim

"Join the crazed institution of the stars... be the man that you think you really are... and you can wear a crown of roses around your cranium, live and die upon your cross of platinum..."

Posted : 02/03/2006 9:20 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

welcome to GN

#4491....

Posted : 02/03/2006 9:25 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 02/03/2006 9:56 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I'm listening to "Shaman Father" now :D the vocal is very good and the band sounds very good 8) The song is very nice also, lots of Depth I thought :D I will listen to more later--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 02/03/2006 10:26 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome, Crash!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 02/03/2006 11:41 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Yes, Welcome!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 02/03/2006 11:54 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Really impressive. Great stuff there. The only comment I would have is that I couldnt hear the vocals. I could tell they were good, but I couldnt hear what was being sung. But that was terrific stuff.

I dont think there are requirements. I know in Sunday Songwriters Group, it is preferred that you contribute and critique but I dont think there are requirements. You get what you give though, thats true anywhere.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 03/03/2006 2:18 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Really impressive. Great stuff there. The only comment I would have is that I couldnt hear the vocals. I could tell they were good, but I couldnt hear what was being sung. But that was terrific stuff.

I dont think there are requirements. I know in Sunday Songwriters Group, it is preferred that you contribute and critique but I dont think there are requirements. You get what you give though, thats true anywhere.

Geoo
Crashing Sun, The sunday songwriting group is a very strong and VERY friendly community. You would be most welcome :D Also the Guitar noise songwriting club is great too--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 03/03/2006 2:41 am
(@crashing-sun)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm listening to "Shaman Father" now :D the vocal is very good and the band sounds very good 8) The song is very nice also, lots of Depth I thought :D I will listen to more later--the dog

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! Just wanted to point out that's not me singing on that version of that song. I don't think I could sound like that even if I was castrated. Yeouch! The producer really liked the song but didn't like my singing so he got this girl to sing on this version of it. She's got a great voice but it's all wrong for the song. I was thinking more of a Roger Daltry type voice but now that I'm further along with my vocals I don't play and sing it in the same key anymore.

"Join the crazed institution of the stars... be the man that you think you really are... and you can wear a crown of roses around your cranium, live and die upon your cross of platinum..."

Posted : 03/03/2006 1:39 pm
(@crashing-sun)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Geoo

The vocals were basically me jumping into it without any formal training, knowledge, or ability. Some of the lyrics are avilable on my geocitites site but feel free to just look out for my stuff in the lyrics forum here.

I'll have to check out the Sunday Songwriters group. Thanks for the listen and the info.

Posted : 03/03/2006 1:50 pm