Howdy!

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello fellow guitarnoise-makers!

I'm the guy that back in high school bought a guitar and learned just enough to play a couple of ballads and impress the girls. I was never very good, but I had the basics down. Somewhere along the way, the layers of dust on the guitar developed to the point where they needed to be protected as a wildlife refuge and the concept of touching the guitar included cleaning the guitar so I stopped playing.

Flash-forward 20 years. I now have new girls to impress, my two kids (4 and 2). They love to sing songs and put on shows and the like. So, out comes the axe, and now the guitar bug really starts to take hold. The old skills - I didn't really have much in the way of skills, but what I did have are long gone. But, I'm having fun learning all this stuff again. And the kids really enjoy singing along with me and stuff.

Gear:

• Ibanez V200S Acoustic

• Ancient Gibson Acoustic (belonged to my wife's grandfather, sounds awesome but I'm afraid to play it much)

• Epiphone Les Paul Special II Cheap Electric

• Line 6 Spider III 75w Amp
  • So, I'll be around. I'm learning a ton from this site. The lessons are awesome. The easy song database is amazing. And every conversation seems to be filled with wisdom. I beg your pardon in advance for anything stupid I might say or do. Thanks for being here.

Posted : 25/06/2008 12:28 am
     KR2
    (@kr2)
    Famed Member

Hello fellow guitarnoise-makers!
    I'm the guy that back in high school bought a guitar and learned just enough to play a couple of ballads and impress the girls. I was never very good, but I had the basics down.
    . . . .
    And every conversation seems to be filled with wisdom.
    Wisdom?
    Heck, you were the one that had it figured out back in high school:
    Learn the guitar to get the chicks.
    Methinks we'll be learning from you.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 25/06/2008 12:32 am
    (@elecktrablue)
    Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Big Lar! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

OH! BTW.... I live in Weatherford, about 30 miles west of you! :wink:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ .·´
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 25/06/2008 2:26 pm
    (@twistedlefty)
    Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 25/06/2008 3:06 pm
    (@rahul)
    Famed Member

Welkohm to Paaaraaadiseoooo !

Posted : 25/06/2008 5:25 pm
    (@vic-lewis-vl)
    Illustrious Member

I now have new girls to impress, my two kids

OOOOH - tough audience!
    And the kids really enjoy singing along with me and stuff.

Well if you can get past that, world domination's not too far away! My kids always hated my playing at that age.........

Nice to meet you , Big Lar - and if you have any additions for the ESD, they're always welcome.

BTW, I have fond memories of Fort Worth - I was over there on holiday 3 years back, and I got to see Dylan at Willie Nelson's garden party. And Billybob's was just amazing!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 25/06/2008 8:53 pm
    (@big-lar)
    Estimable Member
    Topic starter

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I've cruised all the guitar sites, and this one has the friendliest membership - BAR NONE! I'll do my best to maintain the high standard you all have set.

Posted : 25/06/2008 11:58 pm
    (@blueline)
    Noble Member

Howdy there cowboy. Welcome to GN. Lookin forward to seeing you around.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 26/06/2008 5:40 pm
    (@dan-t)
    Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 28/06/2008 12:37 pm