Notifications
Clear all

Howdy from a displaced Texan

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rowanfae)
Topic starter

It's rainy today here in Connecticut. My name is Tanya, I'm 31 and have only really been playing guitar for 4 months. I bought my first guitar when I was 15, but never took the time to learn how to play it (got frustrated easily when I couldn't play a simple chord). Tried again when I was 30 and had the same issue. Then I realized what the problem was. I needed a left handed guitar! I have some tendon issues with my left hand and they were preventing my fingers from going where they needed to go (it's pretty creepy, actually, the tendons are too short). So February of last year I bought a left handed guitar and it sat there - as I was too intimidated to give it a whirl. I went through some really stressful things in my life in December and that's when I decided to pick up my guitar and really learn to play. I'm still not great, but I can progress through most chords.

Ok, enough of that - why did I want to learn to play guitar? Glad you asked. (I know, you didn't, but still, this is an into post, right?) So I could put music to my lyrics/melodies. I've been writing songs since the second grade. Of course, at that age, most weren't good, but I still remember writing my first song (and I still have a copy of it). I write vocally - lyrics and melody in one shot. It just sort of comes out that way. I've always said that I don't write the songs, I'm merely the avenue they take to be born. They just kind of write themselves and I put them on paper. Anyhow, I wanted to put music to them, but nobody I know ever has the time. I know a lot of very talented musicians, I've been singing in bands since I was 15. But they all have lives, jobs, spouses, kids, etc. And even when they do have the time to help, sitting down with someone who says "I don't know what key this is in and I don't know the progression, but it goes like this (proceeds to sing), can be a frustrating experience. For both parties.

I play a bit of piano, enough to write actually, but I can never nail the rhythm. Piano just doesn't have the same percussive aspect as the guitar.

Phew, sorry I got so long winded there. :lol: All I wanted to say was, "Hi, I'm Tanya - 31, in CT. Originally from Austin, TX. I sing in a band, I write, I'm new to guitar. Oh and I have three beautiful daughters." :mrgreen:

-T

Posted : 28/04/2008 5:05 pm
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Welcome aboard! My mom is a "Lefty" guitar player too! :)

Posted : 28/04/2008 5:14 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Hi Tanya,
Welcome to GN!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 28/04/2008 5:21 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Started in Dec and you're still not "great" yet???
:lol: j/k
Welcome to GN! there are lot of us who laid it down early on and just recently picked it up again, you are in good company!

#4491....

Posted : 28/04/2008 7:01 pm
(@lazlong)

I'm glad I'm not the only newby that just came on board today.

It's funny how folks who leave Texas refer to themselves as displaced Texans, but those of us who moved to Texas from elsewhere tend to refer to ourselves simply as Texans. 8)

Posted : 28/04/2008 7:03 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Tanya! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

This is the second time today I've gotten to welcome another Texan (even if you DO live in Connecticut!)! :D
It's funny how folks who leave Texas refer to themselves as displaced Texans, but those of us who moved to Texas from elsewhere tend to refer to ourselves simply as Texans.

That's probably why we have the saying "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could!"

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 28/04/2008 8:15 pm
(@rowanfae)
Topic starter

Started in Dec and you're still not "great" yet???
:lol: j/k

:P Ok, well, it was better than saying "I still suck" LMAO!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone :)

Posted : 28/04/2008 8:41 pm