Notifications
Clear all

New Guy from Corpus Christi, TX

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@lazlong)
Topic starter

I guess I'm the latest new guy here. I'm 41 years old, and I travel all over the world at my job. I'm a power electronics technician, and I specialize in oil and gas drilling rig power and control systems.

I just picked up the guitar about two months ago, and I've been fumbling my way through some instructional DVD's. I had a guitar when I was a teenager, but never learned much with it.

It all started when my son got the "Guitar Hero III" game for Christmas. He's 9 years old, and he'd been asking for a guitar from time to time, but when he started playing that game, he really started asking a lot. So I got him a little acoustic guitar that came with an instructional DVD. He quickly lost interest, but I started going through the video lessons.

Then I bought my own acoustic guitar, and continued. Next I got an electric and a few more DVD's. Since I travel a lot for work, it was becoming difficult to stay in practice, so I got myself a Traveler Speedster and a headphone amp. Now I can comfortably travel all over the world with a guitar and practice along with my DVD's.

Of course, the DVD's have taught me several chords a few scales, and some techniques, but no songs. I've found tabs on the internet, bought some books, etc., but was still having trouble finding simple songs just to get me started. Finally, I decided to Google "Easy Songs for Beginning Guitar", and I found this site.

I started playing "Horse" immediately, and then started on "Wish You Were Here". As I was playing, I heard my wife singing along from the other room. She then started telling her friends that all of my noisy practice is finally starting to pay off.

It's nice to finally find a place where someone takes the time to explain the music, rather than just a bunch of tablature. I also appreciate that the songs are shown in musical notation as well as tabs, because musical notation makes more sense to me. I need to relearn reading music, but some of it is still with me from when I played trumpet in Elementary and Jr. High.

Thanks for having such a helpful and informative site. I think you're likely to see me around here quite a bit.

Lazarus Long

Posted : 28/04/2008 11:30 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!
(from a former CC resident)

#4491....

Posted : 28/04/2008 12:26 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Lazlong! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

It's always nice to welcome another Texan! :wink:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 28/04/2008 2:09 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Welcome!

I encourage you to have your wife sing with you whenever you can - it's the best motivation!

Avoiding Heinlein references to extended families, due to recent events in Texas.

Laz (the GN original)

Posted : 28/04/2008 2:15 pm
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Welcome! :)

Posted : 28/04/2008 5:15 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Hi Laz!
Welcome to GN!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 28/04/2008 5:19 pm