Skip to content
Long time guitar pl...

Notifications
Clear all

Long time guitar player....new to electrics.

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sixstrings)
Topic starter

Thought I'd introduce myself....
Have been playing accoustic guitar (classical, jazz, and everything else I can get my hands on) for almost 20yrs. I finally decided to branch out into electric guitars. I am currently stationed in South Korea, so I thought I'd capitalize and just had a Telecaster built (J5 clone) here in Incheon, Korea. Since this is my first venture in the electric world, I fully expect to abuse this Tele as I rewire, swap pickups and necks and generally experiment on it...which already started. I know it was a cheaply made guitar ($300) and the quality is already showing. I will be spending alot of time in the maintenance and repair forums. The output jack has already fallen out (I'll post pics in the repair forum) and I want to swap to a wider 22 fret neck. SO there's lots of work to be done, and this looks like a great place to learn how to do it. Thank goodness for the internet. When my mustang needed "upgrading" I found a great bunch of people in a forum similar to this, and I hope this group will serve me well with all your experience and advice. I'll be in touch!
Ryan

Posted : 30/05/2006 12:02 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I have very little experience or advice but I'm great for the comedy factor. LOL Welcome to GN. Good luck on your project.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 30/05/2006 12:12 pm
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Welcome, and hope we can help you get your guitar where you want it.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 30/05/2006 6:39 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 30/05/2006 11:00 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Sixstrings! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 30/05/2006 11:53 pm
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

Now that you know what a poorly made Telecaster looks and feels like, you might want to visit some used shops in Korea looking for a bargain.
There are several possibilities, including both vintage guitars and top of the line copies. You could also hunt for high-quality used replacement parts for your Tele.
Can you spot a 50's or 60's Tele or Strat neck?
Can you spot an acoustic made with Brazilian Rosewood?

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

Posted : 13/06/2006 5:08 pm