Notifications
Clear all

New to guitar and guitarnoise.com

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@isaac)
Topic starter

Hi, I'm Isaac...new to guitar, this site, and looking for some help with learning. :D

Alright, I just picked up a regular FirstAct ME301 Electric guitar the other day. I've tuned it properly, according to some of the tutorials I've found on sites...may have been this one. The only problem is I don't have an amp yet...but I'll be getting one soon, hopefully. Can you still play good without the amp?

A little more about me - I'm not fond of using a pick, I can usually be taught relatively fast, and I'm left handed - but I don't play the guitar left handed. I still play it the "regular" (seems we always have a way of calling the most used way the regular way) way. I haven't really tried playing it left-handed, because I felt I should learn to play it one way first, and I'm already comfortable with it this way.

Anyways...just saying "hi" to all, and if you can recommend any beginners' tips or columns on the site to me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Last thing I remember, I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
"Relax," said the nightman. "We are programmed to recieve.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!"

Posted : 31/05/2006 11:18 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey buddy, welcome to GN. I would suggest you start right about HERE. Practice is the key to learning guitar. It is a struggle sometimes and you will get down but just think of this place as your support group. Keep telling yourself that as long as you keep practicing you WILL get better. It will happen.

Well, you can certainly start practicing without an AMP but I will guess that it wont be long before you really want to get one. You can find some pretty cheap ones on ebay or maybe even a pawn shop or used music shop.

I resisted using a pick for so long but now I practice with it and without it so I can do both comfortably.

Enjoy the stay and good luck
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 31/05/2006 11:25 pm
(@isaac)
Topic starter

Thanks for the quick reply, and I'll start working on some of this stuff immediately! :D

Posted : 31/05/2006 11:35 pm
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Welcome Isaac. Congrats on picking up the guitar. I play guitar right handed, but I'm lefty for mostly everything else. Playing righty as a lefty has its advantages, mainly you get to use your stronger hand for fret work. I have been playing this way for 4 years with no problems.

On the subject of amps. Did you get your first act from walmart? Thats the only place I've ever seen them. They sell amps there too I believe. Their shouldn't be a problem getting a first act amp to go with your first act guitar, Just realize that as you get better your going to want to improve your gear, but thats way down the road. For now, get something that will let you hear yourself, then practice like crazy.

Once again welcome.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 31/05/2006 11:54 pm
(@isaac)
Topic starter

Yeah, I know...but all my friends tell me "the electric guitar just really isn't much to hear yourself with without an amp" and I thought I'd buy one.

Speaking of which, I was at Walmart today (and yes I did get my guitar there) and I saw an acoustic FirstAct guitar and an amp...but didn't check the pricing on either. I wish that acoustic would have been there the day I got the electric.

Posted : 01/06/2006 12:39 am
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I've seen the acoustic electric. It was either like 110 or 200 or something, has built in Pre-amp. I understand your on a budget. Don't worry about it man. If you really need money for that amp, mow lawns. Thats what I used to do. Mow and snowblow in the winter. Odviously mississippi doesn't get snow, so just mow all year round. If thats not an option then just ask for money for you birthday and hope for the best. The acoustic probobly would have been better for a starter, but do the most with what you can. Getting an amp probobly would help, and my walmart has a little 5 watt amp for like 20 or 30 bucks. As I said just do your best.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 01/06/2006 12:51 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Isaac! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 01/06/2006 1:17 am
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Welcome Isaac! I was also born left handed but I went to a Catholic school and the Blessed Sisters of Perpetual Misery beat me right handed so now I do things badly with both hands! I don't think left handed playing is such a big deal but trying to find a left handed instrument can be! I would stay right handed. By the way, I just got my Guitar Center junk mail booklet and they have a Dean Markley 9V practice amp for $29.99 as an added bonus you get TWO sets of strings with it. Normally I don't care for GC but this might be up your alley, if there aren't any GC's near you they are also online. By the way, really try to get used to using a pick, its a pretty important skill, I didn't and years later it took me forever to relearn. JMHO. Have fun! Just remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

Posted : 01/06/2006 2:29 am
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I'm also a south paw. I always wished I would have forced myself to learn righty because it is so much easier to find guitars. A recent injury left me severely limited on my movement of my left hand. So, although my strumming suffers, it would be absolutely impossible to fret with my left hand. So, I guess it's worth the aggravation of not being able to walk into a store and play off the shelf just to still be able to play.

The point is to have fun and keep at it. I'm new here, but it seems like a great group. I have been totally re-energized since finding this place. Find an affordable amp so you can hear yourself. Good luck!

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 01/06/2006 2:41 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN Isaac.

I too have the gift of the use of my left hand. I also play the guitar right handed. I wouldn't worry about trying to play left handed. You obviously picked the guitar up and it felt comfortable right handed so why try to change that. I write left handed but am comfortable doing most other things right handed.

Some people tell me playing the guitar the way we do is a good thing because our dominant hand is on the fret board and I suppose there is some wisdom in that. It just doesn't feel like it some times. :lol:

As for an amp, it depends on your guitar how quick you need one. My electric has a good sound unplugged which makes quiet practice a possibility. It was months after I bought my guitar before I bought an amp. Of course if your guitar doesn't sound so good unplugged - and a lot don't - then you may want one sooner rather than later. I can recommend the Roland Microcube for a first amp. Should keep you going for a while. Also have a look at the VOX DA5.

Enjoy.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 01/06/2006 6:08 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Isaac! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 01/06/2006 11:01 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Isaac. You've come to the right place to learn about guitar and music in general and if you can't find the answer here, the question most likely doesn't exist. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 01/06/2006 12:02 pm
(@isaac)
Topic starter

Haha, thanks all for the welcomes. I have a job that I'll be starting sometime next week, so hopefully I'll pull in some money for that amp.
You know, it's interesting to know how many people here are left-handed by nature. I heart that left-handed people were usually logical by nature, so it's a bit harder for them to do anything requiring imagination. Weird theory, eh?

Posted : 03/06/2006 12:14 pm
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

left braid, right braid stuff. They have linked certain functions to either side of the braid and they claim that by using one hand more than the other you are developing the opposite side of your brain disprportionately to the other side. Consequently you increase certain analytical, reasoning or artistic potential associated with that sied of the brain. It is also said (and supported by some research) that left-handers are genreally more creative than right handers. Hendrix didn't do too bad.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 03/06/2006 4:25 pm
(@isaac)
Topic starter

Actually I've heard right-handers are more creative, imaginative, and inspired in contrast to left-handers, which are more scientific and logical.

But today I had a weird idea...and it hit me all of a sudden that I could hook up my electric guitar to my piano keyboard, and it works quite well, actually. Just plugged it up to the microphone port in the keyboard, and it works awesome!

Weird eh?

I read the House of the Rising Sun fingerpicking article, and can play it pretty good now. :D

Posted : 05/06/2006 5:12 am
Page 1 / 2