New from Texas

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@douglasa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello all,
I am from a small town in south Texas. I have been playing the guitar and singing for 19 years and maybe one of these days I might be good at it. I am an associate pastor of a Baptist Church where I am in charge of their worship service and other things. I am trying a different direction in my life now and am currently working on putting a top 40 country, varity band together. I had never played country music before and mostly played Eagles, CCR.... and alternative music. But, in my part of the world it's all about country music. I had heard lots of bands around and figured I could be just as good or if not better. So I started putting a play list together and started learning country. I play the acoustic guitar and sing, I have a someone on lead and just had a guy come play drums for us last night. So we will see where this goes.
I have been reading on this board for about a week or so and some of you guys really know your stuff. There is tons of information on this board about live sound, mixers, guitars, ect.. This board is defiantly an asset to the musician

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace (Jimi Hendrix)

Posted : 16/05/2007 5:42 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Hey, cool project you have going. IMO, the Eagles and CCR are heavily country/western influenced, so you are already somewhat down the road. 8)

Posted : 16/05/2007 5:45 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Douglas! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

I'm from Texas, too, but North rather than South! Whenever I think of South Texas I think of a song by Houston Marchman called "South Texas Rain" ... beautiful song! Are you familiar with Houston Marchman's music? He's definitely alternative Country. And, really good!!

:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 16/05/2007 6:04 pm
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Welcome to the board and good luck with your project. :)

Posted : 16/05/2007 6:41 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Douglas.

Good luck with the new direction and look forward to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 16/05/2007 6:54 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Welcome to GN, theres plenty of talented musicians in great state of Texas.

Posted : 16/05/2007 7:31 pm
(@douglasa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Whenever I think of South Texas I think of a song by Houston Marchman called "South Texas Rain" ... beautiful song! Are you familiar with Houston Marchman's music? He's definitely alternative Country. And, really good!!

:D
No I dont believe I have ever heard of him, but after you metioned him I looked up some of his stuff and he is good.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace (Jimi Hendrix)

Posted : 16/05/2007 8:43 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard & good luck with your new band! 8) :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 16/05/2007 9:08 pm
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi douglasa. Welcome to GN.

Denny

Posted : 17/05/2007 3:47 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, douglasa!! 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"