Clear all

New to Guitar and GN

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi all, I'm Scott from Texas. I'm 41, and never touched a guitar until a month or so ago, when my wife restrung her old classical guitar and thought it would be nice if we could play together. I found it rather hard to get a lot of proper fingerings on that guitar's massive neck and high action, so I ended up buying an electric (Yamaha PAC112J) to see if the learning curve might be a little easier, at least on the purely physical side. Definitely an improvement, though there are still plenty of chords I just can't get my fingers around cleanly.

Like some others here, I'm just playing for myself, with no real intent to torture anyone other than my wife with the cacophony I produce, but it is fun to pick out a tune (hitting 50% of the notes at 50% of the proper speed). I'm teaching myself via books and online, since I have neither money for a real instructor nor can I afford the time and gas it would take to drive the 50+ miles to the nearest town. It's nice that there are places like this where I can get some help and advice.

Posted : 07/07/2008 9:55 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 07/07/2008 11:16 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, Scott! There probably isn't a better guitar site on the web for beginners. The first month's the toughest - how are those callouses coming along?

That 50% and 50% will soon change for the better!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 08/07/2008 12:19 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi Scott,

you'll find plenty of help and advice on this site, welcome aboard.

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 08/07/2008 12:31 am
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Welcome neighbor (fellow Texan). I'm a re-beginner myself. This place is awesome. I know you'll love it here.

Posted : 08/07/2008 2:39 am
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

welcome to GN..... is a spouse teaching guitar as 'dangerous' as a spouse teaching you to drive?? :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 08/07/2008 2:24 pm
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

welcome to GN..... is a spouse teaching guitar as 'dangerous' as a spouse teaching you to drive??

Probably :) , which is why I'm making a point out of trying to learn on my own. Turns out we're very different styles, anyway. She's an acoustic/chord strummer/rhythm guitar/singer (sort of), while I do best just picking lead melodies on my electric. At least the combination should be complementary.

I've got some pretty good callouses so far. At least, my fingertips are permanently numb, so I assume that's a good thing :o

My question is...can you play a decent lead guitar if you can't do chord changes worth a lick? :?

Posted : 08/07/2008 9:57 pm