9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi there,

Someone here on this forum appeared in a Cakewalk forum (P5 I think) and pointed me in the general direction of this place which I'm quite grateful for ... :D

I got an acoustic a while ago and begun playing but it wasn't too long before I got stuck so I went down the local music shop and got some lessons at the "Yamaha School Of Music" locally where they do some group lessons, which are cheaper than one-on-one lessons and so far I've had two lessons there and I'm glad I made that step. Now I'm here I thought I'd drop by to say hello to people here and hopefully learn a lot in the process!!!

So now it's been a few weeks or so that I've been playing the fingers are beginning to toughen up a bit so the pain isn't so intense..... :lol: ...but I'm wandering if you folks put anything on your fingers for the dry skin.... :!: or whether the rougher they are the better it is for playing....any how I'll just go with the flow and I look forward to hangin' out here from time to time. :wink:

Posted : 27/10/2006 3:53 am
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Welcome!

I think you're just going through what we all went through when we started. When you say your fingers are dry, do you mean that they are cracking or are they just beginning to form callouses? If they are cracking then put some hand lotion on them after you are done playing. Don't do it before or you will gunk up your strings.

You will, after a period of time, learn just the right amount of pressure to use when you play, it just takes a lot of practice. Your fingers will then start to look like normal. :)

Check out the beginners lessons, they are great and I'm looking forward to seeing you around!

Dave

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

Posted : 27/10/2006 4:32 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Welcome to GN! It's a great place where you can learn a lot and have some fun, too.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 27/10/2006 4:35 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome! Don't fret about your fingers (no pun intended!), they'll be fine - callouses are a guitarist's badge of honour :)

If you do use lotion, don't put it on beforehand for the reason Racetruck gave, but also because it temporarily removes your hard-earned defence from pain - it'll hurt as much as the day you first picked up a guitar. Trust me, I tried it once and now if I use hand lotion, I'll leave my left fingertips out whether I plan to be playing that day or not :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 27/10/2006 8:00 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN fraz! :D

See you around the boards. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 27/10/2006 10:24 am
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Just like when you are first learning to ride a bike, which comes with a handful of scratches and bruises when you fall, the first couple of months learning to play guitar can be a painful experience. Everyone goes through it. But soon your fingertips will toughen and you are good from then on.

Posted : 27/10/2006 3:09 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Fraz! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 27/10/2006 4:56 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN Fraz.

Looking forward to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 28/10/2006 9:47 am
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Welcome Fraz! Look forward to seeing you around the forums!

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

Posted : 28/10/2006 2:08 pm