Clear all

Noob-"ish" member

16 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@spleen)
Topic starter

Hi there.

I've been receiving the GNNews eMails for years, but for some reason I guess I never joined this forum or made much use of this website. What a couple of huge mistakes!

I've been post perusing and lesson looking here for a few weeks now, and what a load of info!

I've recently made a new committment (did I spell that right?) to the guitar to get over the playing plateau I've been on for the last 10 years (basically since the kids were born, I never made time to practice or learn much of anything new).

I first played my sister's nylon string guitar back in the 11th grade (1986 for those of you keeping score at home). The first song I played was the beginning bass line (yes, I even tuned the 6th string down.... :roll: ) from Yes 90125, "City of Love". Not exactly Chris Squires most progressive stuff, but ya gotta start somewhere.

I was hooked! I traded my 10-speed bike for her guitar, learned a few chords (thanks Mel Bay!) but learned most everything else by ear (mostly Rush stuff). Then I traded that guitar in for a Kramer electric, played that through most of college, then traded that in for an Ibanez EX360 in 1989. Had a few gigs (high school home-comings, campus concerts and the like) but nothing terribly serious.

Sometime during college I purchased an Alvarez 12-string acoustic...LOVED it!!

Then after college, both guitars pretty much sat in the closet except for when I played in church every few months or when my brother-in-law borrowed the electric once in a while.

A few years ago I decided to splurge (sort of) and get the Ibanez overhauled by Rob Zwally (those of you in Souteast PA area should find out about this guy if you aren't already familiar with him). About that time I also sold my Alvarez on eBay (for more than I originally paid for it....yeehaww!) and purchased an Oscar Schmidt 12 string acoustic/electric...LOVE how it plays...but I think my Alvarez had better tone.

Nevertheless, my long-term guitar interest never burned beyond a spark, even with all this "new" stuff around me. They still sat in the closet. During the past few years I've accumulated several guitar courses (most of which are advertised here) but never did much of anything with the information.

I'm not sure what recently refueled my desire, but dang it!....I'm gonna learn me some theory and solo skills!

So anyway...here I am. I've actually started practicing everyday! What fun! I guess my biggest hurdle was WHAT to practice. I had so much information on my shelves I was experiencing overload trying to decide what I should start with.

I have no idea why I wrote so much here...I tend to ramble...my wife has trouble with that part of my personality. (don't tell her about this post).

Thanks, you'll be hearing more from me...but hopefully not so much at one time, though.

Dean J.

The only failure is in no longer trying

Posted : 12/06/2007 7:16 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Wow, you left out what type of car you drive. LOL Just teasin. I dont know about the others but I prefer more than less anyday. Especially if its information about you. I guess given the hint, you and I are about the same age. I just started a little over two years ago but I have practiced pretty regularly.

Free or pay, GN is one of the best resources I have found for learning guitar.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 12/06/2007 7:27 pm
(@spleen)
Topic starter

Oh sorry....1993 Honda Accord or 1999 Ford Windstar if the kids are along.

:D

The only failure is in no longer trying

Posted : 12/06/2007 7:30 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Dean, welcome aboard finally! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 12/06/2007 7:46 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

It's about darn time! Welcome to GuitarNoise, Dean! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 12/06/2007 7:53 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Dean !

This is a great friendly place to put your questions on playing guitar (or any other instrument too, as far as I can tell). Lots of people here love twelve strings and aren't they jangly ?

All people here are just hobbyists who whale at their guitar and forums occasionally (and I am their leader in this department). So we are more than happy to include you among us. :wink:

Play often and play well.

Rahul

Posted : 12/06/2007 8:18 pm
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Dean. Welcome to GN.

Denny

Posted : 12/06/2007 9:18 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Dean! 8)

Posted : 12/06/2007 9:39 pm
(@douglasa)
Estimable Member

Welcome aboard Dean. My suggestion is to start learning the type of music you like. Ive read it over and over here start learning songs. Great to have you to the board

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace (Jimi Hendrix)

Posted : 12/06/2007 10:03 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Took your time Dean! Welcome to GN. There's a heck of a lot of information here too - but it's not too hard to navigate, I'm sure you'll find something you like! Easy Songs (although some of them aren't!) might be a good place to start......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 12/06/2007 10:27 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Dean. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 12/06/2007 10:39 pm
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Welcome from another newbie. ;) Nice avatar, too! I just got back into Rush shortly after their last tour (no, I don't know what happened to my tastes for those many years...) so I'm stoked to be seeing them live for the first time in a few weeks.

Indeed there are loads of nice, helpful, knowledgeable people around here. Enjoy!

-- Voidious

Posted : 12/06/2007 11:01 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Honda makes some damn good cars. Welcome to GN.

Posted : 12/06/2007 11:50 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Dean.

Great intro.

Looking forward to seeing more of you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 13/06/2007 4:42 pm
(@wylesmyde)
Estimable Member

Greetings Dean. I had a similar hiatus when my children were born. It's hard to find time for hobbies when they are young. It's good to see you are able to jump back in.
Enjoy.

Posted : 13/06/2007 5:01 pm
Page 1 / 2