old newbie

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello folks,

As you can see over by my (non)avatar, I signed up here 3 years ago. I've never introduced myself because I've never played!

My wife bought me a cheapie guitar off of QVC back then in 2005. I found this site and signed up. I went to a lot of sites and printed out a ton of stuff. I was still on dialup back then at home and I would find something and print it at work. I was random and printing out anything and everything I found. Thus, my start of learning the guitar was the same, I roamed around and randomly looked at lessons from many sites, the beginner songs here (awesome), and random tabs. I never learned anything more than the cord shapes and to ring cleanly G, C, and Am.

I had 2 sets of strings that came with the guitar. After breaking the 2nd set, I never bought another set and never picked it up again after my first 4-6 months of messing with it. Now it is 2008 and with recent discussion on guitarists and finding how many play the guitar in my racing forum I frequent, it gave me new strive to learn something.

So, here I am. I spent quite some time trying to remember my log in name and password until I realized I was on the wrong guitar forum. I refound GN in an old folder of favorites and I'm back.

This time, I'm going to structure myself. I'm going to do lessons from one or 2 sites and do them until I know them and do them well. That is my difficulty not having the cash for lessons, I do free stuff found on the net and I'm more likely to float around more than if I was paying for it.

So, give me a good luck that I keep up with it slowly this time and I learn something! :mrgreen:

What I can do:
- I know G, C, A, Am, E, and I think that's it. I know some scale that I don't know what it's called (straight down the first notes of the strings) and I know the pentatonic scale (?, the blues scale?)
- I know the intros to a few songs and some of David Hodge's beginner songs. Is it David Hodge? I could never remember because the old pastor at church was Hodge as well, LOL.

What I can't do with all that:
- I know those cords, but can't change between them at all.
- Can't play the scales I know with any speed or smoothness.

So, there you go. I'm that's where I'm starting out at (again) and we'll see how long it takes me to work through the cord changes and playing through the known scales all over.

Posted : 20/06/2008 2:00 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome back! I would suggest that you start right here at GN with our Absolute Beginner's Section. And our Easy Songs for Beginners Section. Start with the easiest song (Horse With No Name) and work your way through. David Hodge explains every aspect of each song in a way that's easy to understand and follow. By the time you've worked your way through these you will have an excellent grounding in the art of playing guitar! Good luck! And, remember the three P's, perseverence, patience and practice are the keys to learning to play the guitar!

We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 20/06/2008 2:43 pm
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Welcome Back. Lets hope you keep with it this time, and if you have any questions, no matter how stupid you think they are, just ask in the Beginners Q&A forumn and you will get some help.

Jack

Posted : 20/06/2008 2:48 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome back to GN. Hopefully you'll stick around this time! Like Elecktrablue said, the three P's are the key.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/06/2008 5:12 pm
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you for the warm welcomes! I've already browsed around this place back in 2005 for about 6 months so I know what it's all about here. I wouldn't be back if it wasn't an excellent place to visit.

As I said, I did start 3 years ago, but I never did more than learn the few cord fingerings.

So, I restrung the guitar Wednesday evening. Picked it up yesterday to start "lesson 1" which is the same cords I already know and got my fingers all numb again to restart the callousing up. It was "G"...... ok, first finger, 2nd finger, 3rd finger, "D"..... 1st finger, 2nd finger, 3rd finger, "C"..... etc. I strummed a bit last night, got the fingers sore, and put it away.

I get home from work tonight, pick it up, and it was "G"... "D"... "C"... "D"... "G"........... Just the little bit of concentration I put in Wednesday evening paid off and was able to move about those 3 with much less pause and without having to think of the fingerings!

My wife called her sister to bring the kids over and swim. So, while I had a captive audience of mere 1, 4, 5, and 7 year olds, I strummed out some basic 12 bar blues (another little bit I remember from back 3 years ago). They liked it, there was no embarrassment from playing in front of the adults in the family, and I got some practice in while they got some exercise hopping around to it, hehehe.

Can't wait for the fingers to calloused up. Last time, as they started, I started to play more sporadically until I eventually quit. Not this time. Though, it is a very cheap guitar and I assume it is more difficult to play than a decent guitar. Well, I have no choice in that matter, I'm stuck with what I've got. It will just take a little more determination I guess.

Cheers

Posted : 20/06/2008 11:57 pm
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Hello mrodgers,

Welcome back.

Your story is bit like mine. I signed up here at GN nearly four years ago but due to illnesses I've had to start & stop and so am the perpetual beginner. In other words, this week might as well be considered my first one of learning!

Let's hope for both us that this is first and last time we have to begin again.

Cheers and good luck,
Ron

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

Posted : 21/06/2008 5:08 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome Back!

#4491....

Posted : 21/06/2008 10:00 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN !

Many of us are indeed old newbies (me the number one in them) here. That is to say, that we are all learning various things which are totally new to us even after years of playing.

Good Luck !

Posted : 21/06/2008 1:47 pm