Clear all

Oldie, but a Newbie

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@angus-is-da-man)
Topic starter

Hello All,

I'm new to this site, also a new guitar player, but I recently turned 40, that's why I'm an oldie, but a Newbie.
I've been playing for less than a year, but I love it. I bought my 13 yr. old son a guitar and amp last year for X-mas, he was very interested in playing, but I found myself picking up the guitar more than he did. So about 6 months later I went out and bought my own. A beautiful dark cherry Epiphone SG 400 (couldn't drop the "large" for the Gibson). I play thru a Behringer V-Tone GMX 212 Amp (hopefully a tube amp is in my future). Sounds pretty good I guess (wouldn't know any different, but it was a great value). It has a lot of DSP settings and modeling effects on it, not sure what all they do, but hey they are there if I need them. I like to play hard classic rock – AC/DC is probably my favorite to play, also Zep, Sabbath, Hendrix etc.
Enroled my son in lessons a coupled months back, and we are both having fun learning new songs and jamming toghether.
Well, Rock On!

"There were 7 million fingers learnin' how to play, and you could hear the fingers pickin' and this is what they had to say–LET THERE BE ROCK!"

Posted : 01/04/2006 11:26 pm
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Hi and welcome Angus is da man, its good that you can play with your son and learn together, hopefully you will be able to find some songs in the "Easy Songs" section that you can both play.
My son is learning to play bass guitar but unfortunately doesn't practice as much as he should. I try to get him to jam with me but he'd rather be out on his skateboard. Shame really as he has a good aptitude for it but not the right attitude.
Nice to meet you,
Rod, :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 02/04/2006 12:13 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN Angus. Hope you enjoy the stay.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 02/04/2006 1:25 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Hey there Angus! Welcome to GuitarNoise! Look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 02/04/2006 7:41 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Welcome, Angus! There are quite a few pairs of us parent-child guitar learners-players here at GN. You've come to the right place for getting any questions answered and finding good friends.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 02/04/2006 9:20 pm
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Welcome

Posted : 08/04/2006 1:55 am
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Welcome aboard, but you don't qualify as an oldie around here :wink: I started playing at 50 I'm 53 now, there are several newbies here that are older than me :)

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

Posted : 08/04/2006 3:13 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Angus!

That's pretty neat that you and your son are learning & jamming together. I have an 11 year old son who plays also, and it's great when we can jam together. 8) Have fun! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 08/04/2006 5:14 am
(@rocker)
Noble Member

way to go angus, keep rockin and welcome 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 08/04/2006 8:26 pm