Clear all

Premature M&G

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lucille)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I don't actually have the guitar yet,so I suppose this meet and greet is premature, but I have to do something while waiting for my guitar, it should be here in Texas in a week or so. It is a second hand Yamaha acoustic.
So let me back up.
I'm a senior, a retired nurse, and my son plays guitar.
I've thought about trying but never had the time. Now that I'm retired I do have time to practice, but wondered if it was too late. A thread written elsewhere on the internet, initiated by an old guy who had similar thoughts but then decided to just go ahead and try, gave me the impetus to do the same.
My son is currently working out of state, so the initial acquisition of my first guitar was something I really had to do myself. A new decent sounding guitar is just not in the budget, so I thought about choosing from used ones rather than getting a new $79 cheapie.
Looked on Craigslist, and it seemed as if there were real buys along with some real dogs and I sure don't know which is which yet. Some of the advertising by folks trying to sell their guitar is almost lyrical, and you kind of wonder if their guitar was that good, why they would sell it. Sort of the same story with Ebay.
So I managed to snag a Yamaha from a place that didn't seem to have any reason to indulge in any questionable practices. It is on the way and I'm not sure if it will be wonderful or horrible and broken down, but I'm hoping for the best. Kind of like a mail order bride. (Wonder why they don't have mail order husbands?)
I have several books and CDs, a tuner, and a metronome also on the way, all used so that the total cost was manageable to start.
My plan is to read and edge in slowly, and then practice, it seems as if a lot of people get excited, do a ton of stuff, buy a ton of expensive equipment, and give it up a few months later. I'm venturing a guess that the image that had in their mind of an awesome stage star, and the stark reality of being a beginner and having clumsy muscles and sore fingers, didn't fit together.
So anyway, I'm going to look and lurk here, you have a nice site, and I'm glad to be in it. Thank you.

Posted : 03/08/2012 10:13 pm
(@alangreen)

Welcome to the party, Lucille. We think you'll like it here.

You can learn a lot without having a guitar in your hands, so do check out our lesson pages.

And ask loads of questions. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 04/08/2012 5:08 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Lucille, you're as old as you feel. If you feel young enough to start, then, you are.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 04/08/2012 7:01 am
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Lots of us are old enough to actually be mouldy...so don't sweat the agism...just get a guitar in yer hands!

Welcome...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 06/08/2012 10:00 am
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Hello, Lucille.
I have a modest little collection of instruments many vintage and I have also repaired and built many guitars so I know a thing or two about the instrument. To the ire of my loving wife and those who proceeded her, I constantly peruse Ebay and Craigslist as well as auctions and garage sales for cheap little things to play around with. I have yet to get anything that didn't arrive in at least playable condition barring the occasional shipping damage. So I wouldn't be too concerned about the guitar. And I have bought, sold and found half a dozen Yamaha guitars over the years and they are bullet proof and ideal for your needs. There is not a better choice for you.

On the advice side; Videos, web lessons, tuners and the like are great tools to HELP the learning process - not to replace reading, understanding and PLAYING. Learn some chords and some tunes and get out and play with someone. I know that Texas is brimming with rambles and jams, guitar players love a new guy - because you'll happily play what ever he shows you and he can play what he really wants to over it - win/win.

Congratulations. Enjoy. Before too long you will find out why people sell perfectly good guitars - to finance the next. But I have a feeling you'll hang on to that old Yamaha for a long time.

Posted : 06/08/2012 11:24 am
(@lucille)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

To the ire of my loving wife and those who proceeded her, I constantly peruse Ebay and Craigslist as well as auctions and garage sales for cheap little things to play around with..
I hope you are speaking about guitars :shock:
the advice side; Videos, web lessons, tuners and the like are great tools to HELP the learning process - not to replace reading, understanding and PLAYING. Learn some chords and some tunes and get out and play with someone. I know that Texas is brimming with rambles and jams, guitar players love a new guy - because you'll happily play what ever he shows you and he can play what he really wants to over it - win/win. .

That's good advice thank you. The guitar should be here in a few days and I can't wait to actually do something, don't know how to play yet but want to get started.
. Enjoy. Before too long you will find out why people sell perfectly good guitars - to finance the next. But I have a feeling you'll hang on to that old Yamaha for a long time.

I think so too, it's OK to have more than one after a while.

Posted : 06/08/2012 9:43 pm