Notifications
Clear all

What an amazing instrument

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@napsterbater)
Topic starter

Hi all, my name is Vince, and the guitar simply astounds me. I bought it about a year ago on a whim, a metallic red Squier Strat, white pickguard, un-modded, with the Fender Frontman 15G amp. My first goal with the guitar was to use it as my path to fame and fortune. Now I've settled on the somewhat more accessible goal of having my own unique style ala Jose Gonzales or Carlos Santana or Eric Clapton. To that end I practice loads of technical exercises, always to a metronome, and try to learn those scales. I figure the quicker I can start reading that fretboard like a book, the quicker I can master the skill of picking the right notes, in time and with rhythm, the quicker I can develop a personal style and really layer on teh polish. Also I work songs, these days I'm starting to practice them like I'm about to perform them, really trying to get the different riffs at speed. Eleanor Rigby is my current obsession, funny how a dead woman whose name was buried along with her body evokes such fascination. I've tried Wonderwall, Horse with no Name, and Losing My Religion, but ER is one I can really sink my teeth into. I might be interested in covering Wonderwall with a different strumming pattern. LMR is just too hard for me right now.

A few years ago I used to fiddle around with a keyboard and a violin, so I've got basic Music Theory down. I also like to write, my current project is a how-to book for young men who grew up with technological friends instead of flesh and blood friends to improve their social lives. I plan on making it into an e-book and selling it over the Internet on websites my target market frequents. Depending on the response, I might turn it into a real book and sell it to a real publisher. I'm averaging two chapters a night and I don't seem to be slowing down much at all. Apparently I have a lot to say on this subject. Dancing, specifically break-dancing, is an on-again-off-again hobby of mine, as is language learning. I know decent Spanish, and my Japanese has withered as of late due to misuse, but I once had a moderate knowledge of it. I also like to travel. I've been to Aruba and Colombia, and want to visit Argentina, the Dominican Republic, Vietnam, Japan, Ethiopia, Western and Eastern Europe.

Posted : 25/10/2008 8:10 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Vince! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 25/10/2008 11:40 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Those Squiers are sure liked by many of us here. One of our mods is a fan of Squier Telecaster...

Welcome to GN. Hope you have the best time with your guitar !

Posted : 25/10/2008 12:07 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Welcome aboard vince, look forward to seeing you around the boards

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

Posted : 25/10/2008 4:43 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Vince! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 25/10/2008 5:39 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 10/11/2008 7:55 am